We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days to spend in Phnom Penh and accomodation option

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
How many days to spend in Phnom Penh and accomodation option

Hi

Just wondering whats good number of days to spend in phnom penh to sight see and shop?

Also do you have any mid range accommodation idea's??

Thanks in advance

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,228 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days to spend in Phnom Penh and accomodation option

Hi travelbug

since you don't give us a $ indication of what you think 'midrange' is - head over to agoda or a similar booking site and filter according to your budget, pool etc - if you are having trouble picking form a short list - check the reviews of all contenders via the 'hotel' tab at the top of the page and then come back for some additional feedback if necessary.

We loved PP - I'd happily spend a week there just chilling, checking out the sites (again) but most people seem to manage the major sites and some shopping (just don't expect KL or Bangkok choices, quantity or quality) in 3 days

cheers

helen

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days to spend in Phnom Penh and accomodation option

It does depend on how long your holiday is but l will vote for three nights so two full days in PP.

For shopping, Central Market is our fav market and we love Street 240 and Street 178 has so a top spots too.

Our fav place to stay is Hotel 252 , but don't know your budget?

Edited: 16 May 2014, 23:42
Mentioned in this post
Central Market
Central Market
5,198 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days to spend in Phnom Penh and accomodation option

Thanks guys I will have a look into my budget, I like to save money where I can staying at a hidden gem cheap price excellent services ect.

Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days to spend in Phnom Penh and accomodation option

You can find a hotel in a good location with clean rooms and aircon for $20-30 USD per night. More if you want a pool. I typically stay at one up hotel. I would also recommend at least 2 full days.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
694 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days to spend in Phnom Penh and accomodation option

@139travelbug prices stated are correct, I usually stay in a place that charges USD26 per room night (2 pax) and it is very clean and just next to the clubbing district of PP.

Suggested program

Day 1: arrive, visit Toulslang museum half day, dinner at Boddhi tree near Toulslang

Day 2: get a tuk tuk and visit the killing fields museum (3/4 day) afternoon shopping at Central Market, dinner at Central market street side cafes.

Day 3 & 4: take a bus to Sihanoukville, on the beach, about 4-5 hr bus ride. Lovely beach resort without the crowds and pimps of Phuket or Pattaya. Nice beach, low cost hotels, low priced food and beer. Stay 2 days

Day 5: return to Phnom Penh: shop for souvenirs and clothing at Central Market-keep some money for Russian Market as it's lower in prices. afternoon travel to Russian market, have the famous coffee there and buy lower priced souvenirs and clothing.

Day 6: Leave for home.

Mentioned in this post
Central Market
Central Market
5,198 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville Province, Cambodia
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Russian Market
Russian Market
1,991 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days to spend in Phnom Penh and accomodation option

Hi Weimin,

Thank you for your itinerary..

I plan to PP in march 2015 (9-14) stays at hotel asiana. Will spend 5 days there. But wants to visit borok national park, angkor wat and arround SR.

i already booked the hotel for 5 days in hotel asiana since it is packaged to free flight we have got from air asia.

So i pretend to go to SR from PP by early in the morning bus and go back to PP by night bus.. it is including visitangkor wat for 1 day visit .... is it possible? To be honest i am not gooling the bus name and cheks the schedule.

Visit borok national park will do the day after.. and same itinerary as to SR just for 1 day visit.

Really looking fwd to know your advise

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,228 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days to spend in Phnom Penh and accomodation option

visiting Siem Reap for one day is a waste - you need at lest 2 full days to see all the temples.

The early morning bus will not get you to SR till afternoon and this does not give you enough time to see the temples - most regular visitors to Cambodia avoid night buses in Cambodia like the plague - it is not a safe way to travel and I would not do it for a million $$.

It seems to me you booked your flight/accommodation package without doing enough research - perhaps you should consider saving Siem Reap and the wonderful Temples of Angkor for another trip - one where you can give them the time they deserve

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
21,692 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days to spend in Phnom Penh and accomodation option

It is not a good idea to take the night bus. You would be wise to do a bit more research and you'll discover how very dangerous it is on the roads in Cambodia at night unless you're in an armoured tank.

As thmoore has said, it is a complete waste to time to visit Siem Reap for only a few hours and the journey by bus from Phonm Penh takes the best part of a full day on very bad roads.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 12:32
Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
694 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days to spend in Phnom Penh and accomodation option

@hrrlina I did visit Siem Reap for a day (late morning till evening) and I found that it was enough for me as I am not much of an archaelogical fan. I see rocks, others see history. One tip though, the bus ride from PP to SR is a rather long journey so be prepared for the briefest of times in Angkor temples.

Is this Hotel Asia? or Asia Tune (an Airasia hotel) where you'll be staying. Both are good locations for easy access.

Do drop by the Foreign Correspondent's Club along the quay to watch the sunset over PP.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
10. Re: How many days to spend in Phnom Penh and accomodation option

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 07:17