We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local experts please

sydney australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
local experts please

Hi. Is it easy to find medical help if you get sick in Laos? Are malaria and dengue common?

Also, how safe is it for a young guy travelling on his own, planning to backpack? Has a couple of weeks so will probably want to get out of Vientiane and Luang Prabang at some stage.

Any other tips?

Thanks.

Thanks

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: local experts please

Yes, it's easy to find medical help in Laos. It's safe for you to travel on your own.

Vietnam
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: local experts please

Hi Fally,

It's quite safe in Laos and you don't need to worry anything. If you see more topics on this forum, you can see many young girl travel by her own.

For malaria, it does exit at the moutainous area, but if you just stay at famous sightseeing points, you will never see it. And if you do trekking and stay in the forest, you just need to use mosquito net which is available every where in laos.

Regarding medical help, you can easily find a hospital or medical centre in any regions in Laos

Happy traveling

http://www.traveltolao.com/

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local experts please

Malaria and dengue fever do exist, but primarily in rural areas in the mountains. The area where I work for example is sprayed 2 times a week to kill larvae. They are not a problem in

Medical help is certainly available. The quality varies. Like anywhere, you should have travel insurance. As far as safety is concerned, there is no problem here. I feel safer here than I would walking around NY for example.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local experts please

Thanks everyone.

Does anyone know how good the mobile phone coverage is around the Paksan to Pakse area?

Also, can I assume that there would be english speakers in these towns, for example, if he got sick and needed help? My son will be travelling alone and doesn't speak Lao.

Thanks.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: local experts please

ETL has good coverage throughout Laos. You can get a sim card and top it up anywhere.

English speakers? Maybe, but not many. It seems from your concerns that one of you has a medical problem. My suggestion is to find someone who can speak Laos and get them to type up a short description of the problem and carry it with you always.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: local experts please

In the touristy areas you wont have any problems finding medical help even though it might not always be the standard you might be used to. I guess it might be different in rural areas.

I got sick in Luang Prabang with a tonsilitis. We first were at the Provincal hospital which didn't look promising. Anyway, there was no doctor on call and eventually the owner of our guesthouse brought us to a normal doctor/GP. This doctor was really helpful, competent and could speak fluent English and French.

We've just been in Laos, due to the tonsilitis only in and around Vientiane, Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng. I found Laos to be a safe country to travel in.

7. Re: local experts please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 21:18