We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to pronounce laos

noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
how to pronounce laos

I have heard it pronounced low ( as in cow , on a cooking show with a loatian chef) and also have been told more like "louse"

Any advice ?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to pronounce laos

Lao, (pron Lau), is the adjective, Laos, pronounced "Lao os" is the noun.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how to pronounce laos

The Lao chef would, like most Lao people, not distinguish between the correct pronunciation of the noun and adjective forms when speaking English as they don't distinguish the pronunciation in their own language.

However, we foreigners should try to keep the distinction, if only to present Lao listeners with the correct forms in English.

The Lao chef would likely say, "I come from /Lau/ and I enjoy cooking /Lau/ food"; when, to be correct in English, he should say, "I come from /Lao os/ and I enjoy cooking /Lau/ food.

The adjective form 'Laotian' is rarely used these days - nearly everyone uses 'Lao' as the adjective form.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to pronounce laos

However Phiip, even the Vientiane Times and the Lao news service uses Lao os, most of my students do and even the govt officials i have spoken to do as well. I think this has come into common usage even when speaking Lao.

4. Re: how to pronounce laos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 07:19