We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vientiane itinerary ideas

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Vientiane itinerary ideas

We have one and a half days in Vientiane in early August and are planning how best to spend it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We arrive at 10.40am from Luang Prabang and will probably spend the rest of that day walking around the main city/river area. We are staying at Hotel Khamvongsa.

For our full day the current plan is to visit the Buddha Park in the morning and then go on to Pha That Luang, Patuxai and COPE and finish at Talat Sao.

Does this sound reasonable to fill in a full day?

Would it be possible to hire a tuk-tuk for the whole day and if so how much should we expect to pay?

Alternatively is it easier/better to just get a tuk-tuk from one location to the next?

Is the Buddha Park worth the trip?

Should we expect much rain in the first week of August and will it affect our plans much?

Any advice or alternative ideas from those in the know would be most helpful.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vientiane itinerary ideas

I was just in Vientiane at the end of May and also stayed at the Khamvongsa. We found that there is more to see than we imagined, so if possible you might want to extend your stay for a day or two more. My favorites were Wat Si Saket and the National Museum, incredible art and architecture. We also went to the Textile Museum but it's a little hard to find, even with a local friend. For dinner I liked Kua Lao, it's more expensive but also has local dance performances and the food was good!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vientiane itinerary ideas

Oh, and not all tuk tuks are created equal. There are the large ones with a "real" engine and in a truck bed. If you do find one, that is far preferable for travelling farther distances than the smaller "lawnmower" tuk tuk. Both will be pretty noisy. You will probably be better off hiring one tuk tuk for the whole day, he will show you a listing of prices and then you bargain (gently) for a bit less. If you plan to spend a lot of time at the market (talat sao which is more like a shopping center than a market) you can easily let the tuk tuk go and then find another one as it's a very central location. Some of the other places it's not so easy to find a good tuk tuk. Prices will vary according to how far you go, how many people, etc. Have fun!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vientiane itinerary ideas

Thank you for the reply.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,847 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vientiane itinerary ideas

We hired a tuktuk for a day and we paid 100 baht per hour for his service, although some say that it is high but I guess not because we enjoyed it a lot and the driver is so accommodating and speaks conversational English. Vientiane is just a small city so you will pretty much cover it for 1 whole day.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vientiane itinerary ideas

Quote: "not all tuk tuks are created equal"

Actually there are jumbos, tuk tuksand skylabs. Skylabs have 4 wheels and are fast.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
131 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vientiane itinerary ideas

were in Vientiane late March, first for 3 nights and then back for 1 more. We loved the place and look forward to returning. Day 1 went to Scandinavian Bakery, Main Market and Patouxay and just walked around looking- went to riverside night markets as near our hotel- pretty good. Day 2 went to Wat Sisaket & Ho Phra Keo- across the road from each other near the Presidential Palace, then Wat Ong Teu, then out to Buddha Park- not my thing, but nice to see the countryside and had nice lunch with driver at local roadside cafe on way back- then went to That Luang Wat and then the National Museum. Good day- had driver with aircon van as V V hot weather. Tuk Tuk drivers were generally good, that's what we did the first day, just got one to take us to each place and then found another when we wanted to go somewhere else. hotels and gusethouse will recommend drivers if you want that.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vientiane itinerary ideas

Thanks havaholiday. Did your hotel organise the driver to Buddha Park and do you remember how much it cost?

Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vientiane itinerary ideas

I loved Buddha Park and COPE was a wonderful experience- just look on the map for the hotel opposite it and ask tuk-tuk to take you there because I had to try several guys before I found one who had heard of it

9. Re: Vientiane itinerary ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 05:16