We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

Level Contributor
4 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

I tried to figure out the bus situation from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng but little was available so I thought I'd post about my experience today 3/1/2012. After asking around in LP I got many different prices, the cheapest being 115,000 pp for a air con mini bus from your guest house. I was told I could pick 800 or 830 as departure time with a 6 hour drive. Got picked up on time but by the time we loaded up in a different mini bus and left the bus station it was almost 10 and we made many stops along the way. We didn't arrive until almost 1700. Plus yes the bus has air con but the driver wouldn't turn it on sobit was windows the whole way. First half is rough I wouldn't go on a full stomach, I had read this but I have a strong stomach so I didn't listen and I felt half for first 2 hours.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

so I guess the moral to the story is when booking ask in what order they collect you and ensure that you are last on the bus. What was the name of the company that you went with? I am assuming there are many?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
633 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

The best bet is to get your own group together and book a private minibus.

The quotes we got last week from our guesthouse, on the street and from a travel agent were US$150, $160, $120 and $118 for the whole bus. We took $118 from the travel agent. They used one of the regular minibuses plying the route and we had it all to ourselves. Very comfortable if you are not sharing with a big crowd. The driver spoke very limited English but was happy to stop wherever we liked for photos, rests and lunch. We left early to avoid the main bus/minibus traffic and to give the driver a chance to get back in the daylight. What could have been a cramped nightmare turned into a pleasant day out. The only disappointment was the haze which obscures a lot of the view at this time of the year.

3. Re: Bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 20:13