We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Luang Prabang like Hoi An?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
307 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Is Luang Prabang like Hoi An?

I'm just starting research for a possible trip to Laos in Dec 2012 with husband our 2 young boys (7 and 4).

I've heard such great things about Luang Prabang. But I am also anxious if it's another Hoi An. We were in Hoi An Dec 2011 and it was such a surrreal experience with all the tailor shops. We did go during bad weather so we didnt get to bike around the villages. Perhaps with better weather, we would have enjoyed Hoi An more. Still the tailorshops were just too much!

On the other hand, we enjoyed Hanoi.

So, honest opinion please on Luang Prabang. Thanks.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,170 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Luang Prabang like Hoi An?

They are nothing alike so you can relax on that one. LP is quiet, laid-back and charming (not that we didn't find Hoi An charming) Your kids would enjoy a day trip out to the Kwang Si waterfalls & the nearby Bear Rescue Centre. With 4 & 7 yr olds I probably wouldn't do the trip to the Pak Ou cave - 2hrs on the Mekong in a small boat might not be their idea of a fun time -particularly since you only need half an hour to see the caves.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Luang Prabang like Hoi An?

I agree with helen, Luang Prabang is extremely charming and we recently spent over a week there in April. There is so much to see and do. We road bikes every day and ventured out into the villages and the outlying parts of town as well as the tourist attractions. You will need a tuk tuk to get to the waterfalls though. Bear rescue is a great place and your kids will love just watching the bears.

Hoi An on the other hand is one of my personal favourite places that we visited and whilst it is now nearly 4 years since we went i am sure that it has lost none of it's charm. I am not a great shopper so I spent little time in the tailors but there is so much else to do.

Like comparing apples to oranges in my mind. Agree with your comments about Hanoi, we found it a vibrant and exciting city and relatively easy to get around. Must go back!!

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Luang Prabang like Hoi An?

Travelers don't come to Luang Prabang to get clothes made, though there some tailros and seamstresses (more of the latter) so no need to worry about tailors chasing after you.

The similarity is that both are fairly laid back destinations where travelers like to linger becuase of the laid back atmosphere, but if you come for the holidays, LP will be busy since each year, more and more visitors come for the holidays culminating with fire lanterns released into the night skies on new year's eve.

LP is also a gateway for ecotourism in northern Laos.

Europe
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Luang Prabang like Hoi An?

Don't miss a boat trip on the Mekong and they have phantastic sunsets. You can clim on some montain and it looks great.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,734 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Luang Prabang like Hoi An?

They are very different, but do share some things. Both are very heavily touristed areas, both have excellent food and accommodation, and both are worth the trouble. The main difference in my opinion are the people. The Lao are more laid back and less aggressive than the Vietnamese. Now is the time to visit - before the onslaught of Chinese discover this town. Already larger planes and more direct international service is beginning to change this destination.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Luang Prabang like Hoi An?

Daawgon summed it up perfectly.

7. Re: Is Luang Prabang like Hoi An?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 22:40