We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM Chiang Khong - Huay Xai border crossing?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
ATM Chiang Khong - Huay Xai border crossing?

Hoping someone could answer this qu :)

Is there is an ATM at the border where I can withdraw money in the local currency (KIP) for entry into Laos? or would I be better off finding a money changer before arriving?

Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM Chiang Khong - Huay Xai border crossing?

there are a few ATMS in chiang khong along the main street. I had to try a couple before they would accept my card. Used the machine twice as needed to pay for our trip down the Mekong.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM Chiang Khong - Huay Xai border crossing?

Thanks for your reply. Am intending to spend the night in Huay Xai before making the trip so am assuming I would need KIP to pay for accommodation and the slow boat. Do any of the machines in Chiang Khong disperse Kip pr only Baht? Also is there an ATM on the Laos side past the border crossing or in Huay Xai? Cheers.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM Chiang Khong - Huay Xai border crossing?

zeg--recommend jumping to the Huay Xai forum and reading past posts about various scams and things to be aware of for HX, especially with regards to changing money, buying the slowboat ticket (and buying bus tickets which doesn't really apply to you but perhaps others).

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g737155-i12857-Hua…

If you're in a jam, a number of places will accept bahts but you'll get a lower exchange rate so it's best to pay in kips.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM Chiang Khong - Huay Xai border crossing?

Thanks for the tip, will have a look at the posts. Is there an ATM at Huay Xai that you know of or would I be better bringing Kip along with me? Thx

Oregon
Level Contributor
309 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM Chiang Khong - Huay Xai border crossing?

Just saw a post on Thorntree indicating there are two ATMS in HX, at the top of the boat ramp. As a previous poster mentioned, there are a lot of scam artists on the Lao side of the border. Lots of stories about people being ripped off by changing money with these touts.

Oregon
Level Contributor
309 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM Chiang Khong - Huay Xai border crossing?

Just saw a post on Thorntree indicating there are two ATMS in HX, at the top of the boat ramp. As a previous poster mentioned, there are a lot of scam artists on the Lao side of the border. Lots of stories about people being ripped off by changing money with these touts.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM Chiang Khong - Huay Xai border crossing?

Yep, thanks for the heads-up bruce3404 and saw the same post on the Thorntree and you can read it here:

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

Sadly, scams are perpetrated on both sides of the border so it's best to be informed and prepared.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM Chiang Khong - Huay Xai border crossing?

Thanks for the feedback. I will hit up the ATM's in HX and maybe get a small amount of cash changed at the airport in Oz just incase. I generally avoid money changers unless I really have too. I'd rather just pay the ATM fee and avoid the hassel. Will read up a bit on the potential scams so I know what to watch out for.

9. Re: ATM Chiang Khong - Huay Xai border crossing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 23:16