We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth a trip?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth a trip?

I was thinking of including a couple of days in Laos when I am in cambodia, I know I wont see much but have always wanted to go and I can always go back.

Anyway, the travel agent I asked said there was no point in going as it is jammed with 18 year old back packers. I don't mind back packers, am one myself, am just not 18.

I was wondering if there is any point in going for 3/4 days (on a tour so we fly a few places I think) and would I enjoy it?

Any help would be great

Thansk

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Uncle Tom's Trails - Private Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Motorcycle Tours
AK Home Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Green Discovery
River Rafting & Tubing, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth a trip?

2 days including travel - forget it! I assume you are referring to Vang Vieng which you should not go there. Dangerous! Wait until you have more time to enjoy Laos and stay longer.

Mentioned in this post
Vang Vieng
Vang Vieng
Vientiane Province, Laos
Laos
Laos
Asia
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth a trip?

Thanks, that's what I thought. You would recommend Laos for a visit at some sstage would you?

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth a trip?

Laos is a wonderful place, however as John says, it is not worth it for 2 days. Come back when you have 3 weeks or so.

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth a trip?

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. You are right, I will have to go to just Laos another time

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,220 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth a trip?

We had 10 days in Laos last year and loved it. We're both the wrong side of 50 and travel with a backpack .. I think that makes us grey-packers.

…blogspot.com.au/2011/07/day-1-in-laos-luang… might wet your appetite.

cheers

helen

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
14,608 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth a trip?

As thmoore says, you don't have to be under 30, dirty or poor to use a backpack - I call myself a flashpacker because I demand just a tad more comfort, better food and transport than I needed when I was less than the 69 years I am now. I say why not ditch Cambodia and go with Laos instead! Luang Prabang alone is well worth the effort, and it won't always be so!

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,114 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth a trip?

That travel agent has no idea what he/she is talking about, and that comment makes it apparent he /she has never even been there.

I will chime in with the other posters and say you will need more time to visit Laos, not worth it at all to go over there for just 2 days.

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth a trip?

Thanks for all the feedback, I have always wanted to go to Laos and will put it on the list for the future.

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
9. Re: Is it worth a trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 20:46