We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 days in Laos

Brundish
Level Contributor
223 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
18 days in Laos

Going to split our time in Vientiane and Luang Prabang, we want to spend 3 days in one and 15 days in the other, which way round though, any ideas guys

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 days in Laos

you need to do some research on what types of things you like to do. hard to give you any guidance when you don't mention what you really want to see, what your budget is etc.

why 3 and 15 in one or the other town. We spent 8 days in LP and 3 in Vientiane

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 days in Laos

As Millsie says, best to do some research, on this forum and Lonely planet, to see what appeals to you.

With 18 days, you have enough time to visit Vang Vieng and/or Phonsavan, and maybe even the south of country. Any reason you want to spend 15 days in one place? I would spend more time in LP than Veintiane.

Enjoy!

- K

kgbtravels.blogspot.com.au

Brundish
Level Contributor
223 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 days in Laos

Sorry forgot to mention what we like, we do like a lot of the usual things like the temples and seeing local life. As far as 3 days in one and 18 in the other is we like to have a base to work from rather travel from hotel to hotel. We also like to relax in the evenings with a beer or two.

If we are to spend majority of the time in Luang Prabang is there enough within a days travel to see

Thanks

Keith

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 18 days in Laos

I'm with KGB on this one, 18 days in Laos gives you time for LP, Vte and Phonsavan and VV. Laos isn't really the kind of place where you can have a 'base' - it's not like you can go out & back to places like Phonsavan or

VV in a day. We had 4 nights in LP, 3 in Phonsavan and 4 in Vte last year, which for a first trip gave us a great taste of the country, plenty of time for relaxing - do have a basket of Mekong River Weed with a beer Lao (or a Beer Lao Dark if you can find it)

Next time we go back we will certainly be looking at VV (not the tubing though) and the south,

cheers

helen

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 18 days in Laos

18 days are a nice amount of time for Laos. Many visitors do end up staying another day or so in Luang Prabang because it's a relaxing place to rejuvenate the traveling batteries. But rather than visiting only Luang Prabang and Vientiane, you've got enough time to visit other destinations. As previously suggested, Vang Vieng and Phonsavan/the Plain of Jars are worth a visit but you might also consider the scenic Nam Ou River-towns of Nong Khiaw and Moung Ngoi some 3.5-4 hours northeast of Luang Prabang. This is a very beautiful area of Laos and I recommend at least a couple days, staying one night at Nong Khiaw and taking a slowboat one hour trip to Moung Ngoi for a village stay at a guesthouse. You can do self-guided hikes to outlying villages, visit caves (and even go spelunking) or waterfalls, so this more of an outdoors focused type of experience.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
190 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 18 days in Laos

I agree with these suggestions we spent about 10 days around these places a couple of years ago. The only thing I disagree with is Vang Vieng, it was full of drunken backpackers, cheap booze and fast food.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,221 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 18 days in Laos

15 days in Vientiane or in Luang Prabang are too much. Consider the following - time in Luang Prabang, a visit to Phonsavahn, a few days in Vientiane, a trip down south to Champassak via Savannakhet. This would give you a lot more variety.

I also disagree with the above comments regarding Vang Vieng; the scenery is beautiful and the backpack trash is easily avoided.

Phonsavan, Laos
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 18 days in Laos

all comment, I agree there are great idea

Brundish
Level Contributor
223 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 18 days in Laos

Thanks for all the comments guys but the reason for a base is that we dont want to spend days on end traveling between places

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,221 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 18 days in Laos

Understand, but you will be bored.