We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fly to Bangkok from LP or Vientiane.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
fly to Bangkok from LP or Vientiane.

in November 12 ,we plan a tour of the South followed by a tour of the North followed by beach time in Thailand. We want to leave our timetable as flexible as possible for the month , so will only be booking our flight out of Laos to BKK with up to 5 days notice.

My question is would it be better to finish our tour of the North in LP or Vientiane with regards to the availability and cost of flights to BKK. I get the impression that the flight LP to BKK is similar to that of Siem Reap to BKK, i.e. the prices are high as they are popular with tourists.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,298 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fly to Bangkok from LP or Vientiane.

If you're after the cheapest flight, that would be that new airline (Lao Central I believe) from VTE - personally, I question the safety of that carrier?

I would pick either Lao Airlines or Bangkok Airways from LPQ - probably a few dollars less on the Lao website http://www.laoairlines.com/

(if you really want to save, cross into Thailand and take an Air Asia domestic flight)

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fly to Bangkok from LP or Vientiane.

"(Lao Central I believe) from VTE - personally, I question the safety of that carrier?"

You were asked once before on what basis you make that assertion and did not bother to answer.

Based on their servicing and the planes they have purchased they are fine. Their schedule to Bkk is limited to 3 days per week however.

OP, your post is a hard one to answer, as it really depends which part of the country you wish to explore first.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,298 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fly to Bangkok from LP or Vientiane.

Rufuscat - sorry if I failed to answer another ?

My answer is that I ? any small and new carrier with limited resources until they've proved themselves. First of all, what does a bank know about running an airline? Who does the maintenance for this carrier, and how often. How well trained are the crews, and what condition are their planes in? Any airline has to prove themselves, and I simply value my life and the lives of others far more than saving a few KIP.

It was only a few years ago that I would have also questioned the safety of Lao Airlines, but they have now proved that they are a safe carrier.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fly to Bangkok from LP or Vientiane.

Daawgon, did you know that Price Waterhouse Coopers are their management consultants and are responsible for ensuring that the airline complies to safety standards?

"what does a bank know about running an airline?" As for this, what do shareholders or executives know about running an airline? looking at Qantas, i would say "not much".

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fly to Bangkok from LP or Vientiane.

You will have many more flight options if you end your trip in Vientiane.

That way you can take a direct flight to BKK 3x day, or on the off-chance that they are all full 5 days in advance (not likely) then you can also fairly easily get a bus/taxi to Udon Thani airport in Thailand, and take one of many cheap daily flights to BKK from there with Air Asia or Nok Air (about $45 one way).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fly to Bangkok from LP or Vientiane.

I agree with last message and end up in vientianne and then catch the bus to udon Thani for a cheap flight back to bangkok.

We flew air Asia and it was fine.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: fly to Bangkok from LP or Vientiane.

Lao Central Airlines are running a promotion that makes the VTE -> BKK flight cheaper. However, the promo is not likely to continue into November. Having stated that, I've heard from some sources that Lao Central Airlines may cancel flights if they are not full. More choices if you end up in Vientiane, as others have already stated.

8. Re: fly to Bangkok from LP or Vientiane.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 09:17