We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in Laos

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,607 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Food in Laos

Not long to go before I head off to Laos.

I already asked a 'few'questions, I was just wondering about food. In addition of the snacks I heard (like seaweed which I will probably eat much as possible), can you recommend some dishes I really should try during my stay in Laos ) I will try the various food stalls, but really wouldn't like to miss some great dishes because I was not aware of it. I find experiencing local food very important to fully enjoy my holiday...and I can be a bit adventurous with food....

Also, can you try snakes in Laos? Didnt try it last year in Cambodia, but might be nice to give it a go if possible

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food in Laos

near the night markets in Luang Prabang there are marvellous street vendors all under the one roof. It's cramped and hot but the food is really good and only costs about 100,000 kip (meat extra). Great communal seating and fab food.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,720 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food in Laos

I think you mean 10,000 kip? (just over $1.)

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,221 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food in Laos

Lao does not have seaweed as it is a landlocked country. However there is riverweed. My favourite Lao dish is Or lam which is a speciality of Luang Prabang. If you want to try something a bit more exotic, try Kai Leuk - eggs with chicken embryos; they are a common snack.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food in Laos

I had the best soup that I have had anywhere in Laos.

I sat down and joined one of the locals at a little side street cafe'.

No a word was spoken.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food in Laos

daawgon, yes I meant 10,000. Got a bit carried away with my zeros.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food in Laos

In vientiane go to the night food market on Khoun Bouloum St near the Chao Annavong Rd junction - near the stadium. This has the biggest selection of food stalls in Vientiane and yo can try many Lao favourites here at a low price - all the grilled meats & fish, pickled fish, bamboo soup, dried meats, Luang Prabang style sausages, river weed (kai phen) and lts more.

Nan Province...
Level Contributor
530 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food in Laos

In Vientiane go to "MakPhet" restaurant .... I loved it!

Traditional Lao food with a sweet smile.

Chang Noi

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,607 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food in Laos

Thanks for all the advise...will definately try the food stalls.

And Rufus, thanks for the clarification...really looking forward to taste the different between sea and riverweed.

Also, what is Or Lam? Or shall I just order it and find it out myself? ;)

Really cannot wait to be there...

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
106 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food in Laos

Actually Makphet is not traditional Lao food. It is Lao food for western palates.

Nan Province...
Level Contributor
530 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food in Laos

@Somsavath .... so at least western guests will eat Lao food as the most will otherwise end-up eating western food

Chang Noi