We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim Card

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,699 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Sim Card

As I a, travelling through Laos for over three weeks I consider getting a Sim Card for an older phone I will take with me.

I assume I should be easy getting oe in Luang Namtha?

Secondly, which one would be the best one to send texts or for quick calls to the UK, and offers a good coverage for LM, Niang Khow, LP, Phonsavan, VV and Vientiane? My understanding is that either ETL, Beeline and M-phone have been recommended before (including in the FAQ).

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim Card

ETL or Mphone should do the trick. Beeline has limited coverage in the outlying areas. You should be able to pick up the cards anywhere.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,322 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim Card

ETL still has the best coverage in Lao.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,699 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim Card

Thanks again for your usual great help.

Does any of you knwo the approximate price for texts and calls to the UK (per minute)?

Loire Valley, France
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim Card

Hi,

I cannot give you an exact rate but it is very cheap. I phone France for 30 minutes from Laos and my SIM card is still not used up.

Oraison, France
Level Contributor
494 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim Card

Hi mammasal

like you we will have to call france during our stay in lao next january and february

could you tell me the approx. rate of your sim card included the recharge (for france)

have you bought the ATL or another one

what about the coverage during your trip

Thank you

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,699 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim Card

I bought a Laos Telecom Sim Card, and I paid 2000 Kip per min to call Germany and Thailand.

Please note, after the first call abroad, I had to register the number (you will hear a message in Lao and English - when calling you need to provide name and your country of residence...got 10000 Kip bonus balance)

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sim Card

Mphone will be the best fir you- calls to UK are 2000kip/ min any time of day. Cheaper than an internal call within the UK. You can buy the sims any town in laos.

Edited: 11 November 2012, 12:20
Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sim Card

scotsman- ignore that last post - tried to delete but didn't work

Edited: 11 November 2012, 12:23
9. Re: Sim Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 06:19