We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Rai - Huay Xai - Luang Prabang

Zurich, Switzerland
1 post
Save Topic
Chiang Rai - Huay Xai - Luang Prabang

Hi

We planned the following in novembre and I would like to know if this is realistic or we would have to book something more in advance.

Day 1: Arriving in the evening in Chang Rai, Hotel already booked

Day 2: Searching somebody who sell us a trip to Luang Prabang and do a litte bit sight seeing in Chiang Rai, staying in the same hotel

Day 3: Starting the trip with travelling to Huay Xai? (by local bus, taxi?) / Jump on a slow boat for a 2 day trip? / Spend the night in a village next to the mekong river?

Day 4: Jump again on the boat and head to Luang Prabang? Where we already booked a hotel.

Maybe somebody knows a website for mekong trips from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang, 2 days slow boat? I heard about 100 people on a little boat, I don't care about that very much but my travel buddy is very scared about so many people in so less space, maybe there is a way to book something more comfortable for her?

Thanks in advance!!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,884 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Rai - Huay Xai - Luang Prabang

Hi,

I think that you would have to leave very early on day three to get to the border, deal with exiting Thailand and immigration to Laos and to make it in time for the slow boats down to LPB. Most boats like to be leaving around 9am give or take Lao time. Most people head to Chiang Khong the night before and stay there, otherwise you would need a private taxi and an early start to go in the morning.

If you don't want to use the public boats and prefer ones that limit passenger numbers then I would recommend Nagi of the Mekong or Shompoo cruise (you can google for both for more info). I wouldn't try to arrange the public boat from Chaing Rai as it will cost more, better to book it once in Huay Xai.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,619 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Rai - Huay Xai - Luang Prabang

Try the Nagi of Mekong. We travelled on the boat back in April and it was great and only 7 of us.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Rai - Huay Xai - Luang Prabang

Hi there,

We did a similar trip to what you are planning. You will probably need to spend a night in Chaing Khong or Huay Xai before your boat trip, as the boats leave 8-9am in the morning and it take 3 hours from Chiang Rai. We went with the Nagi of Mekong, and Adisak organised a driver and sightseeing from Chaing Rai and booked our hotel for us. I've written the info and photos on my blog:

…blogspot.com.au/2011/12/so-i-wasnt-sure-whe…

Use the search / spyglass feature at the top of the forum to search for other info on the boat.

Enjoy!

- K

Vientiane Capital
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Rai - Huay Xai - Luang Prabang

It is better you contact a local tour operator with local route experience. contact Lao E-Travel

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiang Rai - Huay Xai - Luang Prabang

There are three "package tour" boats, the LuangSay, Nagi of Mekong and Shompoo and then there are public boats. All three of the tour package boats can be booked online in advance (a good idea since November is the beginning of winter high travel season). The public boats you get what you get when you get there.

The LuangSay is the more upscale offering, with a quite nice hotel in Pak Beng. Nagi and Shompoo are a bit simpler, with guesthouse accommodation in Pak Beng. All the tour boats have smaller numbers of passengers. Public boats you fend for yourself in Pak Beng, along with all the other passengers.

As others have mentioned you will need to go to Chiang Khong the night before you sail (unless you are keen on waking up at 3 am to take a private van there).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chiang Rai - Huay Xai - Luang Prabang

We recently did Chiang Khong to Luang Prabang on the Nagi of Mekong and they were fantastic. Suggest you email them(email address on website) ahead of arrival and they will arrange your booking. You will need to get to Chiang Khong the night before , it's about 2 hours on the bus from Chiang Rai. Enjoy

7. Re: Chiang Rai - Huay Xai - Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 22:18