We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in Laos in Dec 2012

Boston...
Level Contributor
173 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
One week in Laos in Dec 2012

I am planning to visit Laos during Dec 2012. I would appreciate some inputs from experts here. I am looking at travelling

I usually try to do less touristy places and activities. I prefer nature, landscapes, a history and culture. I am not into museums, seeing crafts etc.

I am also into photography and would love to photograph country side, nature, dance forms and monuments.

Keeping this in mind what would you recommend for the following:

a. Length of time I should plan for Dec? I am open to extending my trip

b. is there any tour operators who can customize trips for me (I usually do not take their services as they make you do a lot of touristy stuff)

c. How are homestays in Laos or should i stick to hotels and guesthouses?

d.Does it make sense to also visit Cambodia for 3 days along with Laos?

Thanks in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One week in Laos in Dec 2012

you need to be a bit more specific about which areas you want to visit. One week will only give you a tiny insight into a wonderful country.

Check out the questions on the right hand side which will give you somewhere to start

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week in Laos in Dec 2012

a. You said you have a week. If you want to explore more remote areas, extend your vacation to 2 weeks at the very least.

b. Sure, they are everywhere, but tours are boring. Do the research and go about it on your own. Quite simple. If you want to go on treks etc in more remote areas, then you will have to go with a local tour operator. You can very easily arrange this once you arrive.

c. Possible, but not for the faint-hearted. Squirel stew and cold showers do not suit everyone. Plus, there is the language barrier to contend with . Local guesthouses are great for under $10 a night. With cold showers.

d. No. Stay in Laos. Do Cambodia on aother trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
173 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One week in Laos in Dec 2012

Thank you for your inputs Millsie and Maneki-neko. i went back and did some research and came up with a short trip in the North for now and then will return for a 2 week one to explore in detail. Your inputs were very useful. Thanks!

I am a foodie and am game to try anything new.. I am excited about the trip :)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week in Laos in Dec 2012

I am a foodie too, and on my trips to Laos always end up eating heaps of sticky rice, spicy papaya salad, noodles soup, grilled fish, and the occasional squirrel stew and rhinoceros beetle.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One week in Laos in Dec 2012

Check out this site

stdplaos.com/web-based/visiter_information/v…

6. Re: One week in Laos in Dec 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 10:15