We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lao Airlines safety and reliability

Seattle
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
Lao Airlines safety and reliability

I am considering a flight on Lao Airlines from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang. The airline seems to have a mixed reputation for safety and reliability. Does anyone have recent experience that would help?

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lao Airlines safety and reliability

Hi,

I think you are mistaken about that. Lao airlines has an excellent safety record and they are reliable too. Occasionally they cancel the Cnx-LPB flight in the low season and route pax via bkk but it's fairly rare. I took the flight last week and no problems at all, took off on time arrived early and nice flight.

Cheers

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
491 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lao Airlines safety and reliability

We just a couple of flights with Laos airlines, Siem Reap to Pakse and Luang Prabang to Hanoi (they actually used a Vietnam Airlines plane for this flight). On time, good service and I'm still here to tell the story.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lao Airlines safety and reliability

"The airline seems to have a mixed reputation for safety and reliability.."

Does it? Where have you read this? I notice you are from the States. I would much rather fly with Lao Airlines than most US Airlines. In fact I have flown with them over 30 times now.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,514 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lao Airlines safety and reliability

We flew Phonsavan > Vte and Vte>Siem Reap with Lao last July - both planes were almost new, departed and arrived on time, and had friendly helpful cabin crew - I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lao Airlines safety and reliability

I flew with Lao Airline from Hanoi - Luang Prabang last month. There was a slight drizzle and was rather windy but the taking off and landing was perfect. In fact, if I wasnt aware that I was on propeller beforehand, I wouldnt be able to tell it apart from Airbus flights which I normally take.

As the rest had mentioned, cabin crews were friendly and pleasant. I was also served a super chilled Beer Lao so extra points for that.

It was my flight with Lao Airline and I would not hesitate to fly with them again the next time I visit Lao.

6. Re: Lao Airlines safety and reliability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 October 2013, 18:12
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lao Airlines safety and reliability

I am a bit of a cautious flyer but found Lao airlines to have what appeared to be new and extremely clean planes. Left on time and flight was extremely smooth. Crew very friendly.

Worst flight I had in Asia was with Vietnam airlines where we literally bounced along the runway in Nha Trang and then came to a screaming halt sideways. Weather was perfect so still not sure of what the issue was, no explanation ever given.

Nong Khai, Thailand
Level Contributor
181 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lao Airlines safety and reliability

8.5 out of 10 by skytrax...Southwest airlines 8 out of 10.....but they are just peoples opinions.......much like TA.

Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lao Airlines safety and reliability

Lao Airlines gets a bad rap on some books and websites because the US State dept at one time had a travel advisory for Lao Aviation the long dead precursor to Lao Airlines then this gets picked up by the various travel guides and websites, that report is now at least 15 years old. Lao airlines has a very good track record for some time now. You can ignore that outdated report along with the one about the warning about bands of anti governments stopping and robbing the buses going from VV to LP

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lao Airlines safety and reliability

The op never bothered to come back and reply anyway, Callao.