We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laos worth going?

3 posts
Save Topic
Laos worth going?

I'm a 21 year old who is going to Laos in Jan with a few mates and all were going for is to party.....is it worth going anymore?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,237 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laos worth going?

use the search function (directly above your post - as a newbie you may have missed it) - a number of the more dangerous activities and some of the more anti-social hangouts have been closed down but Laos is so much more than just a venue for getting trashed and behaving badly. If that is all your mates want to do - more pity them, if you want to experience a wonderful country with stunning scenery, friendly people and a different culture to home - then pack your bags and go.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,092 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laos worth going?

If all you want to do is party, then "No." If you have other interests in life, then, "Yes."

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Laos worth going?

I'm not asking the question so people can judge me in a negative light, I'm simply wondering if Laos is still good for a few drinks and party into the night? I'm not going to start trouble or anything ridiculous like that and I respect that scenery and other attractions are appealing for most people but I am simply asking the question because I've heard that the place shuts down after 11pm. If you have any negative comments without any information feel free to disregard my post.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laos worth going?

Hi,

You will find that it's possible to get a drink in Luang Prabang and Vientiane quite easily until around 11.30. Then most people wanting to continue the party either go to a local disco for another hour or head to a private house and buy some beers. It's pretty easy to find like minded people in both those places. Vang Vieng has closed many of its bars currently and the town is pretty quiet. If you want to hardcore party then Thailand is probably a better bet tbh.

Cheers

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laos worth going?

Even with lots of bars closed There were still lots of people partying in Vang Vieng when I was there end of October - though I cannot compare it what it was like before the closure of some of the places. The Irish Pub was usualy packed till it closed after 11pm, and then everyone headed to one of the other bars on the main street till 2 or 3am.

Saying that, Laos is a fantastic place and I really loved it ther - and you can do so many things there, great outdoor activities (hiking, biking, exploring caves) and the people there are just so friendly and welcoming. For these reasons alone it is worthwhile to go, and you will always find people to have a great time in the evening as an extra.

But as stated above, it is no comparison to the party scene in Thailand.

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
290 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laos worth going?

Don't be offended, OP, most people who are older than 21 find it hard to comprehend how one can only travel for partying. But agree they should keep their diminishing comments to themselves. My friend just came back from Thailand, your age and there was non stop partying there, he had the greatest

Time. May be it's your destination now at this stage of life:)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laos worth going?

Kavity21

I am really old and I still appreciate the partying culture. Some places we went to in June 2012 had an 11pm curfew! Didn't really worry me, as I usually go to bed at 9.30.

Although I probably wouldn't go to Laos to party if I was still young, I'd choose Thailand or Bali.

I think you can party wherever you go - stay young and enjoy.

DG

Edited: 17 December 2012, 09:35
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Laos worth going?

I wouldn't put Laos on any party list. Depending on where you are from, I am sure there are better 'party' destinations nearer home.

we drove through Patong in Phuket , Thailand last week, now that looked like a 'party ' town!

Oregon
Level Contributor
304 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Laos worth going?

While I'm 62 and not much of a partier anymore, except maybe in my own mind, I found myself quite pissed around 10 days ago in LP. We closed one bar around midnight and the tuk tuks were lined up to take us to another place which we closed around 3AM (and no, not the bowling alley). Had a great time at both (the first was Utopia, don't remember the name of the 2nd), so yes, it's doable. Paid a horrible price the next two days, though. Note to self: Don't alternate big beer Laos with shots of Lao Lao.

10. Re: Laos worth going?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2013, 06:16