We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai

Bremen, Germany
2 posts
Save Topic
From Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai

Hallo!

we would like to go from Luang Prabang to Huay Xai/Chiang Khong wiht the slow-boat and later we are going to go to Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai (we prefere to get the bus, because it's cheaper..).

Do you know if it's possible? I was looking for a tour operator, but, from Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai, it is to expensive (600 $!! for p.!). I think, the problem is to go from Ciang Khong to Chiang Mai/Rai. Did you have a similar or the same experience? Do you know a web site where i can find information or do you now a local cheap Tour Operator?

10x!

Paolo

P.S. You can answer in Italiano, EspaNol, Deutsch or Français!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai

Hi,

There are frequent buses from Chiang Khong to Chiang Rai throughout the day, I think the last is around 5pm, they are cheap, about 50B and the journey takes 2 hours. The slow boats from Luang Prabang/Pak Beng arrive late afternoon in Huay Xai so you may have to stay the night in Huay Xai or Chiang Khong, CK has a bigger choice of accommodation.

Cheers

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai

Hi Again,

I forgot to mention that there is a direct bus from Chiang Khong to Chiang Mai run by Green Bus (you can google them for the schedule) but the direct journey takes at least 7 hours and it's actually quicker to take the local bus to Chiang Rai (2 hours) and then the VIP Green bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai (3 hours).

You can also take a minin van from Chiang Khong and the advertised times are 10.30, 16.30, 18.30 with the journey taking 4 hours (optimisic!) I don't know the price.

Cheers

Bremen, Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai

Hi Paulo!

thank you for the information. We would prefere to sleep in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai, but if we don't have choice, we will stay in Chiang Khong :)

10u!

Paolo

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai

Hi Paolo,

You could probably arrange a private transfer to Chiang Rai from Chiang Khong the evening you arrive, a taxi should cost something like 1500-2000B. However Chiang Khong is not a bad place to spend the night if you have to (neither is Huay Xai) there are some nice restaurants and a couple of good hotels and many more decent GH and the riverside is quite pleasant, especially in the morning and at dusk.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai

agree with Paul. Stay in Chiang Khong and then head to Chiang Rai the next morning. Quite cheap to get a bus or a private car.

Oraison, France
Level Contributor
432 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai

it's so easy to get to chiang rai or chiang mai when you stay one night in chiang khong . we did it one month ago I can remember we started at 8h30 am (the touk touk came and pick us up in our accommodation to get to the bus station) the trip with the small local bus (red bus for chiang rai and green for chiang mai) took 4h30 ... it's not a vip bus but it was so cheap , nice to travel with locals and the scenery was so beautifull

Island of Hawaii...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai

Recently took the Green Bus from Chiang Kong to Chiang Mai. We tried for the mini-van option but they were fully booked. The cost for the bus and the mini-van are almost the same. The mini-van takes 2 hours less.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai

We travelled on the slow boat and then hired a minivan (with another couple from the boat) the same night to take us to Chang Rai. It was pretty easy because there are lots of touts looking to pick up passengers. One couple had preorganised a minivan in Luang Prabang at twice the cost of what we paid. Once we arrived in Chang Rai, we followed the trusty LP to a cheap and cheery accommodation option and stayed there for two nights.

9. Re: From Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 07:16