We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pi Mai Lao (Lao New Year)

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Pi Mai Lao (Lao New Year)

This has been taken from the Bangkok Post.

bangkokpost.com/news/local/344851/foreigners…

....."In Laos, people will push back the start of their own three-day pee mai Lao (Lao New Year) celebrations by one day, from the traditional April 13 to Sunday April 14.

Viroth Sundara, Minister Counsellor of the Lao embassy to Thailand, said the water festival in Laos, will be celebrated one day after Thailand's Songkran Day, which falls on Saturday.

The official public holiday in Laos, when all offices are closed, will be from Sunday to Wednesday, he added. Laos has never before changed the date of the traditional New Year holiday.

Champassak, opposite Thailand's Ubon Ratchathani province, expects Thai visitors to join the celebration and the province will invite tourism officials from Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam for the holiday festival, Mala Chanthalam, an official of the provincial Department of Information, Culture and Tourism, told the Vientiane Times.

"I believe a lot of Thai people will come here for the traditional water festival, as we've been announcing it on the radio since the start of the month," she said.

The Laos Meteorology and Hydrology Department forecast temperatures around 40 degrees Celsius during the holiday".......

We'll be there next year I hope.

Have fun

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pi Mai Lao (Lao New Year)

Well it is not really a "water festival". It is Lao NY. The water is a symbolic way of cleansing for the start of the NY.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pi Mai Lao (Lao New Year)

well I must be extremely cleansed as we were in Luang Prabang for a week last year and every day I expected to get wet. My teenage son had a ball and stocked up on huge water pistols and got into the spirit. The last day was a bit draining as not only did they use food dye but a black grease as well. If you just politely put your hand up and say no you can stay relatively dry (in a fashion)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pi Mai Lao (Lao New Year)

"Black grease"? Gee, I think I'll stay at home in Japan and enjoy the cherry blossoms instead. See you in Laos in December, sans heat, water and grease! :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pi Mai Lao (Lao New Year)

Black grease only happens I think around the end of phi mi in april. Should be ok in december

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pi Mai Lao (Lao New Year)

Never seen black grease either here or in LP. You must have run foul of some wide boys.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pi Mai Lao (Lao New Year)

no last year it was everywhere. I have photos to prove it!!!

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pi Mai Lao (Lao New Year)

In celebration of Pi Mai Lao (preferably without the black grease and tar), here's a brand new video to promote Laos as an attractive destination:

http://youtu.be/6JaIdRBHDDs

Edited: 14 April 2013, 15:48
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pi Mai Lao (Lao New Year)

My conundrum was where to spend the new year, next year.

Now I think I know.

Laos simply beautiful.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pi Mai Lao (Lao New Year)

Well, you missed Pi Mai- was any black grease thrown this year? I heard it's far worse during Thailand's Songkran with the throwing of things along with the water, and that the trend was picked up in Laos.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pi Mai Lao (Lao New Year)

"Well, you missed Pi Mai- was any black grease thrown this year? " I saw none. There also appeared to be less water throwing than in previous years, though it is a bit silly in town today.