We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellent Laos tour guide

Auckland
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Excellent Laos tour guide

I spent several weeks in Laos in April and come across a wonderful tour guide by the name of Mana Phuang Boun.

Mana speaks excellent English and can organise a driver if you need one. The trip we did with him was from Vientiane-Plain of Jars-Luang Prabang, but he covers all of Laos. He used to be a Monk and prior to showing us around his beautiful country he had spent a week in a monastery, so it was really interesting to hear about those experiences.

Mana has a lovely, friendly manner and was fantastic at introducing us to locals we met along the way. He is very knowledgeable about the best places to stay and eat, and takes everything in his stride including changing our itinerary at the last minute to make better use of our time.

I spent a lot of time looking for tour guide recommendations before leaving home and couldn't find any, so hopefully this posting will be useful to others. Mana can be contacted on: laostourguide@yahoo.com or phone +85 620 554 065 22. Happy to respond to personal messages if anyone wants further info.

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
Plain of Jars
Plain of Jars
527 Reviews
Phonsavan, Laos
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Uncle Tom's Trails - Private Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Motorcycle Tours
AK Home Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Green Discovery
River Rafting & Tubing, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellent Laos tour guide

Hi KiwiTraveller 72, how did you get into contact to Mana ?

I plan to go in December to Laos, your tip may be very helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Auckland
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellent Laos tour guide

Hi - check out the contact details at the end of the post - Mana's phone number and email are there. I would try both, as if he is doing a tour, it may take a few days for him to respond.

Cheers

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellent Laos tour guide

Hi KiwiTraveller 72,

thank you for your reply. Perhaps it's my English which created misunderstanding. I meant, how did you find this excellent tour guide Mana. You said that you spent a lot of time looking for tour guide recommendations before leaving home and couldn't find any, so how did you find or meet Mana ? Thanks.

Cheers,

Auckland
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellent Laos tour guide

Hi - as we couldn't find independent guides, we ended up going through a travel agency. The travel agency were dreadful, with the exception of one guide they provided which was Mana. As well as doing work through travel agencies, Mana is also an independent guide, so will work direct with travellers.

Hope this clarifies!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellent Laos tour guide

Thanks a lot. I will report when I return from my trip in December/January.

Cheers !

hyderabad india
Level Contributor
202 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellent Laos tour guide

hello,

i am planning a tour in january to laos. can you please give me more details of your tour guide. i am a solo female traveller from india.

regards

Auckland
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellent Laos tour guide

Hi - the details are at the end of my orginal post, but here they are again: laostourguide@yahoo.com or phone +85 620 554 065 22

Hope you have a great time. Mana will look after you.

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellent Laos tour guide

Hi Kiwi.. May I know how much do you pay for Mana.. What is the rate for tour guide?

Thanks in advance

Auckland
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellent Laos tour guide

Hi - sorry as it was quite a while ago I can't remember that detail. Know we was competitive when we compared to others at the time though.

Tennent Creek NT
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellent Laos tour guide

We used Mana in February and found him very good. We flew into Luang Prabang where he met us and went by road to the Plain of Jars etc and south to Pakse on road number 13. I would not say he was cheap ($3,400AUD) for 12 days but we had good hotels and he did his best. He does need to listen to his clients more attentively though, I had told him 5 or 6 times not to program anything which required walking very far as I am physically challenged in that area, I was unable to do a few things he had planned.

No problem getting on and off the boat though. His driver Kohn (?) was excellent

Mentioned in this post
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Plain of Jars
Plain of Jars
527 Reviews
Phonsavan, Laos
Pakse
Pakse
Champasak Province, Laos