We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand to Laos to Cambodia to Vietnam

Hello All.

I need some advice.

We would like to get from Chaing Mai, through Loas, down to Cambodia then to Saigon (where we are meeting friends to then go north in Vietnam) and we have 4 weeks to do it in.

Obviously trying to take in all the major sites including Ankor Wat and the Gibbon Zip Wire in Laos.

I have been thinking of a boat trip down the Mekong as part of it.

Can anyone recommend a way of doing this? I have been studying maps no end and have confused myself with routes etc...

Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks all

Rebecca

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand to Laos to Cambodia to Vietnam

Hi Rebecca,

Chaing Mai > Chaing Rai > Huay Xai... 2 day slow boat via Pak Beng to LP for 4 nights (you should get some info on this via the link in th top question - upper right, but for more current info use the search box directly above your post .. just put in 'slow boat' or similar)

Bus to Phonsavan 2 nights (Plain fo Jars) then fly to Vientiane (2-3 nights) or Bus to Vang Vieng >bus to Vte. Fly to SR(4 nights +) from Vte, bus to PP (2 nights +) then >bus to HCMC

You may be a candidate for the Bangkok Airways Discovery pass - worth checking out - you need min of 3 flights in Thailand/Laos/Cambodia - we used in in 2011 to fly Bkk>LP then Phnonsavan>Vte then Vte>SR.

Lots of info on the Cambodian part of this advenure over on the Cambodian forum

my suggested nights are minimums but you can easily add more (southern Laos for example) and in Cambodia add in places like Battambang or the Kep/Kampot region on the coast, or Sihanoukville

hope this gets you back on track a bit

cheers

helen

2. Re: Thailand to Laos to Cambodia to Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 05:18