We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laos Itinerary

UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Laos Itinerary

Hi

I am travelling to Laos at the end of September coming from Northern Thailand. We are arriving by slow boat to Luang Prabang. Our plan is then to visit Vang Vieng then to Vientiane.

After we visit Laos we are going to Vietnam (starting from the North). After looking into transport from Vientiane to Hanoi, it seems like a long journey (24 hour bus ride). I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other places to visit in Northern Laos or alternatively somewhere to stop in Northern Vietnam to break up the journey to Hanoi? I know there is a flight with AirLao but as we are on a budget, we are looking for alternative means of transport.

Thanks very much for your help!

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laos Itinerary

IMO spending 24+ hours in a dangerous overnight bus, travelling cattle class as opposed to the convenience and time saved by flying is a no brainer. :-) Do yourself a favour and lash out for the airfare which is not all that expensive.

Greg

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,920 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laos Itinerary

Is it set on stone that you arrive from the north of Thailand?

If you head down to Vientiane first, and then travel to Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang, you could then take a boat to Nong Khiaw instead and then take the boat to Muang Khua, which takes around 4 hours. Nong Khiaw is a great place to stay a few days, and a stopover in Muang Ngoi before travelling to Muang Khua would be worthwhile as well.

From Muang Khua you can cross the border into Vietnam (Dien Bien Phu). From there it takes apparently 10 hours to Hanoi (friends of mine have done this route, I only got Muang Ngoi, and not further north.

This is clearly longer with the stops than a straight 24 hour journey, but you could see some nice places, as I rate NK and Muang Ngoi as two of my favourite places (especially MN)...

3. Re: Laos Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 05:17