We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adventure caving/spelunking?

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
261 reviews
Save Topic
Adventure caving/spelunking?

We like to spend a day by walking, crawling etc through the caves.

Have done guided trips in Borneo and Thailand which were just incredible.

Are there caves in Laos that we could explore with a local guide that would take us more then 4 hours?

thank you

Tham Phu Kham Cave and Blue Lagoon
Caverns & Caves, Bodies of Water
Pak Ou Caves
Sacred & Religious Sites, Caverns & Caves
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adventure caving/spelunking?

You could spend 2 full days exploring the caves in Vang Vieng.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adventure caving/spelunking?

Would those caves be large so that one can spend several hours inside exploring or are they small ones just for half an hour?

Thank you

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adventure caving/spelunking?

Some are quite large, I don't know how much experience you have but some of them are very deep and are could be dangerous. Whne I was there in March 2012 they said a Japanese guy went missing in one. Both my friend & I had headlamps/ flashlights but still there is a bit of clambering up and over big rocks and it is VERY dark when you get walking for awhile. We spent over anhour inside that big cave when we went, you could explore much further, as it seemed it went on endlessly...I have a few photos here (you'll have to scroll down)

http://bit.ly/16h1bR5

Most of the people who go into the caves hang out near the mouth of the cave as they are too afraid/unprepared to venture much further. Some of these caves are massive and are definitely worth exploring. The large cave in my photos (the vey deep one) is Tham Phu Kham. There is a "Blue lagoon" at the entrance where you can swim. It is a 10-minute climb up steep rocky steps to the cave entrance.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,941 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adventure caving/spelunking?

I must admit I loved exploring the Tham Phu Kham cave, I spend a good 1 1/2 hours there. But make sure you have a good torch with you.

Maneki, if I return to VV I probably need to do a bit more research about some of the other caves then...seems there are a few

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adventure caving/spelunking?

I took my Lao friend into about 5 of them in one day, he was utterly exhausted. Unfortunatley, there are some farmers that are advertising caves on their property. Myself and several others I ran into later on went out looking for them (after paying 5000 kip "admission") and we must have cycled and walked through field after field 40 min.~1 hour and still couldn't find them. I was with a Lao friend and he asked for detailed directions but the guys just said "over there" and pointed. Upon our return I asked for my money back, and was adamant until I got it. Just then I ran into a Japanese guy who was suckered into paying US$10 by these guys to be guided to a very small cave en route (we stopped by there too, but it was no bigger than a small apartement room and there was no walking around in it!) Oh, I found the sign to the fake cave scam thing, here it is

http://bit.ly/16kCUa4

According to my notes, the cave with the reclining buddha (& Blue Lagoon) is Poukham Cave, I mistakenly said it was Tham Phu Kham above. Admission to Phoukham is 10,000 kip for foreigners, 5000 kip for Lao.

Edited: 17 August 2013, 23:47
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adventure caving/spelunking?

Would you have a suggestion how to find these caves, we are planning to rent a bike and explore.

Thank you

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adventure caving/spelunking?

In Vang Vieng You can easily find the main caves - especially Tham Phu Kham (Tham means cave in Lao). This is not set up for caving trips and spelunking though - it has not been mapped and are full of rubble, large boulders and deep fissures when you get past the entrance and out of sight of daylight. It is good fun to explore but not in the sense I think you mean - proper 1/2 to full day guided caving. Someone did indeed dissapear a few years ago in this cave - take a backup torch. As Manekei says there are many other smaller caves signposted by landowners looking to make a $. Some caves are maked on this map

http://hobomaps.com/VangViengAreaMap.html

There are also many caves in the Kong Lor area 100km north of Thakhek. Some agencies can give you a tour of these - or you can do it by yourself on motorbikes - but again it is not a safe guided caving trip like you could get in other larger countries. Maybe in the future?

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adventure caving/spelunking?

thank you again for the relies

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adventure caving/spelunking?

Just back from Vang Vieng and can report that the adventure caving can be organized there. We did a day trip to Tham Hoi organized through VLT travel, spent 5 hours crawling through mud, swimming in the caves river and explored the passages of this stunning cave. I think we were the first ones to undertake such trip , beside the French caving expedition, and it was quite a great experience, our guides were local Khmu who have visited the cave before.

10. Re: Adventure caving/spelunking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 13:35