We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few specific questions (shoes, credit card, dslr camera ect)

Piran, Slovenia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Few specific questions (shoes, credit card, dslr camera ect)

Hello.

I know that there are a lot of topics on forums and information in general on internet about the things, I am going to ask, but I would like to have some updated confirmation :)

I am going to Thailand and I have 2 months time, I was thinking to go through Thailand quite quickly, and then go to Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, and at the end return to Thailand. I am interested in nature. I will be staying in cheap hostels and I will be walking and moving a lot.I hope so :)

When I asked people that have already been in these places, I got really different suggestions. Some of them were totally in love with Laos, others told me that 5 days of Laos in enough or even to skip it. How much time would you recommend to spend in Laos and in the other mentioned countries?

SHOES ( the perennial question)

What kind of walking shoes would be the best? They shouldn't be too heavy. I was thinking of taking my old sneakers, but they're not waterproof. Then I was thinking of buying some light ankle boots (I had one before and they were great, cheap, comfortable and waterproof), but I am afraid that I won't find such thing again, Then I am considering on buying some goretex sneakers, but I am quite suspicious about how much water resistent are they, as I bought some expensive winter shoes this year and they got wet the first time I wore them. The hiking shoes are very heavy and again if it is going to rain a lot, then nothing is waterpoof enough.

CREDIT CARDS

How is it in Laos with a maestro credit card? I've read somewhere, that is quite difficult.

DSLR CAMERA

How safe is to be in the cheapest hostels? I would have the camera always with me, but what if you go swimming? Or if it's too rainy?

SAFETY

How safe are these countries? Any update?

COMPUTERS AND WI FI

Are computers in hostels rare? Is it difficult to find a place with wifi connection? A way to transfer your pictures from the camera card to a usb stick?

VACCINATION AND MEDICAL THINGS

Is it ok not to be vaccinated for rabies? Are pharmacies difficult to find in Laos?

SLEEPING BAG, UMBRELLA, HAIR DRIER

Does it make sense to bring a light sleeping bag, un umbrella or even a hair drier? I never bring a hair dryier with me, but maybe it would be good.

Any other advice or recommendation? New information? When is it recommended to take a flight from place to place?

Thank you very much in advance ;)

Mentioned in this post
Piran, Slovenia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Few specific questions (shoes, credit card, dslr camera ect)

I forgot to mention, I will be travelling in october and novembe.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few specific questions (shoes, credit card, dslr camera ect)

SHOES ( the perennial question) - light breathable walking shoes are good, or good walking sandals like merrel, teva etc. Its hot so you don't want anything heavy or non-breathable.

CREDIT CARDS

A Visa or MasterCard is best. If it has Maestro, Plus or Cirrus you can use it in international ATMs in the main towns. You can also get cash advances from banks which works out cheaper than using ATMs.

DSLR CAMERA

Guesthouses are generally safe but I wouldn't leave any valuables in your room. Take with you or leave with the owner at reception for safekeeping

SAFETY

Thailand/Laos/Vietnam are as safe as anywhere else.

COMPUTERS AND WI FI

Many cafes bars and guesthouses have wifi for guests and customers. All towns in Thailand/laos/Vietnam have wifi available somewhere, even the less visited towns.

VACCINATION AND MEDICAL THINGS

Rabies is your choice - there is no definitive "yes' or "no" when asking whether to get it or not. There is rabies all over SE Asia. Someone from my wifes parents village died from it last year. But the vaccination is expensive, and I would say the vast majority of travellers do not bother, so you need to decide yourself.

There are many pharmacies in all towns - far more than in Europe.

SLEEPING BAG, UMBRELLA, HAIR DRIER

I wouldn't bother. You can get them cheaply here if you really need one of these. Sometimes a cotton sleeping bag liner is handy if the rural guesthouse you are in has grubby sheets.

Mentioned in this post
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few specific questions (shoes, credit card, dslr camera ect)

Pretty much as above. I would not bother with rabies shots. Regarding safety, I would suggest that you are safer in Lao than in Slovenia, however exercise a modicum of common sense when walking around with your camera.

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Few specific questions (shoes, credit card, dslr camera ect)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 05:18