We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VV+Vientiane or extra time in LPB?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
VV+Vientiane or extra time in LPB?

We are doing Chiang Mai->Chiang Khong->Pakbeng->LPB in late November. We currently have 3 days scheduled in LPB once we arrive there. And after that we'd like to see Nong Khiaw for a couple days. Do some day treks. At that point we'll have 4 days unscheduled before we need to be back in Bangkok for our return flight.

We are having trouble deciding whether to simply spend the extra time in LPB + Nong Khiaw & then fly to BKK or to do the overland bus/train trip to VV->Vientiane->Bangkok. Would love to see more of the country but also worried about rushing about too much. Any thoughts?

We have never been to Asia and have been using these forums a ton for planning. Thanks so much for all the advice so far!

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VV+Vientiane or extra time in LPB?

While you could spend the remaining days easily in LP and NK (and even add Muang Ngoi), I think four days would give you a good opportunity to see other parts of the country.

The bus from LP to VV takes around 8 hours (I took a VIP bus, which was good as I had plenty lf space, I am not sure I would like to take that trip in a full Minibus), so you spend one day to head south. Then spend two nights in VV, and leave for Vientiane, and take the train the following day, however this means only 2 1/2 days actually in Vientiane. I have done it last time, and while it was a good starter, I would rather preferred to stay maybe a day longer.

So an alternative could be spending one day longer in LP or NK, then fly from LP to Vientiane, snd spend the second part of day two, day three and 1/2 of day 4 in Vientiane (so around more than 2 days in Vientiane) before taking the night train to Bangkok (you would need to leave around 3pm - at least this was the time I got picked up for the bus station. Gives you more time in Vientiane, but you would miss VV, which is a shame but at least you wouldn't rush it.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VV+Vientiane or extra time in LPB?

Scotsman, what did you end up doing in Vientiane?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VV+Vientiane or extra time in LPB?

I would take the bus to Vientiane. The scenery is Vang Vieng is great and there is a lot to see in Vientaine.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VV+Vientiane or extra time in LPB?

Boleslav, I am sure Rufus or bluecramp could provide much better insight, as I didn't plan anything for Vientiane.

When I arrived in the afternoon, and having a late lunch, I just walked through Vientiane, some of the main roads and side streets, visited the Wat That Foun, and enjoyed the sunset at the Patouxai. I was told that sunset at the That Luang is beautiful, but I enjoyed sitting at Patouxai, enjoying the view and watching people. Found it rather relaxing for my last day. Spent the evening visiting a food market that Bluecramp recommended for some snacks, and listened to live music at the Nam Phou Place. Prices for drinks and food are definitely higher there than at other places, but the music was actually nice.

Visited That Luang and some of the surrounding buildings the next morning, and finished my sightseeing it with visiting Wat Sisikat, before I had a final massage in Laos and left for the train.

I am sure I could have seen more during my brief stay if I would have planned a bit more, but I actually like to walk around, with some ideas where I want to head to. But our local experts in Vientiane are much better sources for ideas for Vientiane.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VV+Vientiane or extra time in LPB?

Many thanks for the advice!

6. Re: VV+Vientiane or extra time in LPB?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2014, 05:17