We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in Laos

Adelaide, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel in Laos

We are looking at traveling in Laos later this year. We prefer basic travel that gets us amongst the locals. Last year we did an intrepid tour of Vietnam. I can't find anything that just covers Laos North to South or vice versa. What is the best way to see Laos? There are a few places we have highlighted as must see including the tree top adventure in Pakse. We are happy within any mode of transport including cycling. Any suggestions would be great.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in Laos

Hi Smilee

the best way to cover Laos north to south is to DIY it ... dead easy - decide where you want to go, book flights & accommodation online (airlines direct and accommodation either through a 3rd party like Agoda or directly with your choice of hotel) Organise ground travel (tours) and transport between cities when you're there.

Cheaper, easier and your tour is tailored exactly to what you want to see.

cheers

helen

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in Laos

Hi - I agree with Helen. We just did our trip DIY from Chiang Mai->Chiang Khong->LPB->Nong Khiaw. Book your flights and possibly hotels ahead. You can do everything else once you're there. It is easy to set up tours and ground transportation.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in Laos

I also second a DIY approach. It is cheaper, and you can bespoke the trip to your specific needs. And it is very easy to travel through Laos, as long you bring patience with you...

To keep flexibily I am not sure you need to pre-book any accomodation though. I haven't done that for any of my two trips to Laos, as I know that I change my travelplan throughout the trip (that's why I love organising it myself).

4. Re: Travel in Laos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:19