We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A taste of Laos....with a 5 and 2 year old

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A taste of Laos....with a 5 and 2 year old

Hi folks, we are arriving in Cambodia on March 3rd and flying out of Hanoi on April 3rd.

We have a 5 and 2 yr old with us.

We are trying to figure out a spot to visit Laos and are having some trouble picking a area.

Our itinerary is fairly loose on the exception that we have to be in Sihanoukville on March 9th for a event.

Depending on where we want to go in Laos will decide our itinerary for Cambodia.

We either want to enter into Laos after leaving Siem Reap or do Siem Reap then go to Sihanoukville for a few days and go up the coast line of Vietnam and enter into Laos at a different spot.

We have looked into going to Si Phan Don from the SIem Reap area but all of the reviews have a theme of a horrible bus ride with a questionable transfer. THis with a 2 and 5 yr old does not sound appealing. And where others have asked about private vehicles making that journey, there is no information.

So unless there is a better means to Si Phan Don, we are looking at other options. It does appear to be a great spot for a family tho.

So if we were to enter into Laos somewhere while going up the coast of VIetnam and could allocate 5 days to somewhere in Laos, where would people recommend for us to go to and where to cross from? with four of us, we are trying to avoid any flights if possible due to costs but renting private vehicles is in our budget.

So I guess the question is, considering that we are a family, have 5 days we would like to allocate to Laos (yes we would like more time in Laos but cest la vie....), are trying to avoid internal flights, where would you go to if you had these stipulations?

The Si Phan Dan area via different route?

Luang Prabang? seems quite a party area, naturally there is more to it then that but we're not much into basing a trip around partying anymore lol

Vientiane? been to many big cities... looking for family activities...

Plain of Jars?

Our time line is open, we can leave Cambodia as early as the afternoon of the ninth and as long as we are in the Han Oi area by March 26th to do Halong bay and area we are open to any routes.

But with the time we have I think that 5-6 days in Laos is all we can do!

thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A taste of Laos....with a 5 and 2 year old

Luang Prabang is a great family town. Lot s to see and do and certainly would not class it as a party town.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A taste of Laos....with a 5 and 2 year old

I do not know from where you get your information, but it is erroneous. Luang Prabang is not a party town. I suspect you are confusing it with Vang Vieng, which is even itself not a party town these days. Luang Prabang or Vientiane would be a good place to spend your days. With your limited time, I would spend it in one place as bus travel eats into your leisure time.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A taste of Laos....with a 5 and 2 year old

Oh thats interesting we had spoke with some friends of ours who backpacked for six months through the area and said that Luang Prabang was the party area with the tubing and bars along the river but its definitely possible that we got the two mixed up.

I read through some of the reviews on TA here and yea I think there must have been some confusion somewhere down the line.

Does seem to be some nice sights around the area for sure.

thanks for the info and we'll keep looking

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A taste of Laos....with a 5 and 2 year old

No tubing in Luang Prabang. You will find a very peaceful and enjoyable UNESCO town that is full of culture, lovely places to eat and drink and very little evidence of partying. Most places close quite early.

5. Re: A taste of Laos....with a 5 and 2 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 05:20