We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North to South

birmingham
Level Contributor
267 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
North to South

Somehow my future trip seems to be getting longer. Due to better flight times/prices etc I've decided to visit Hanoi (eight days) before the trip I had originally planned, Laos and Cambodia (the whole of December) before heading on to Adelaide.

Loas

Luang Prabang - 4 days - The only place I really want to visit is the Kuang Si Falls

Veng Vieng - 2 days - just because many have mention the scenery. Is 48 too old for tubing (not interested in the pub visits) I just love water things, is it fun?

Vientiane - 2 days.

Then I want to head to Kong Lo Cave. I've read I can get there by taking a bus from Vientiane to the village. If so I'll stay overnight and do the cave in the morning unless the bus arrives at a nice time. Once I've done the trip I'd like to head down south to Don Det for a few days before crossing the border to Cambodia. It seems I'll have to head to Thakaek in order to reach Don Det via Paske is that correct? Could I do the cave in the morning and reach Don Det the same day or would it be a night in Paske?

As I'm not a party person anymore is there a preferable side to stay in Don Det? I love sunsets and have read there is a good side to be on. I'm only staying three/four nights as I just want to see what the fuss is about. Plus, I want to see the dolphins, seeing them in Laos means I don't have to go to Kratie. Therefore I can go directly to Siem Reap...

Thank you for any advice or info.....

Edited: 15 May 2014, 08:21
Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North to South

I try to provide some help.

I think your trip sounds nice. In your itinerary, have you included the travelling time? For example, it takes a good day (around 7 hours by bus) from LP to VV. So to enjoy VV I hope you stay two nights, and not just one.

I think you will be fine for tubing. When I went to VV two years ago I met a father in his mid 50s, and he had a good laugh. No need to get drunk to enjoy the scenery while floating down the river.

There is a bus from Vientiane to Kong Lo, unfortunately I don't know if the bus leaves Vientiane in the morning or afternoon. The journey takes around four hours.

The trip from Kong Lo to Thakheknis around 2 hours, and from Thakhek to Pakse 7 hours. So you might try to leave Kong Lo early in the morning, as you might be ale to get the bus to Pakse the same day. Stay overnight in Pakse, and then head to Don Det.

I went to the party area of Don Det for food and drinks, but stayed in a nice bungalow for 50k Kip a night at the end of Don Det village (where part of the old Railway bridge is). The place is called Mr Tams Bungalow. It is next to the Mekong, you have your own bathroom, the hammock is super comfortable, and it so quiet and relaxing. You have some little eating places nearby, and it is a 15 minute walk from the boatlanding. So you are away from the party area. Unfortunately it is not on the sunset side, but on the sunset rise. For the sunset I would highly recommend to get to the placeon the far north (the boatlanding), and sit down at one of the bar to enjoy a stunning sunset with a drink. Done it two or three times. It is just breathtaking. Don't be surprised if you loose track of time there. I found it amazing there, as I was anle to switch off, read a book and just relax.

To see the dolphins I would recommend doing the full day kayaking trip. It is fun, and you paddle into the area where the dolphins are. If you just cycle to the viewpoint you will hardly see any there (though I think there were some boats for hire)

birmingham
Level Contributor
267 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North to South

Thank you Scotsman79 - Some interesting and worthwhile advice for me.

3. Re: North to South

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:17