We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The definitive "Visa on arrival at Vientiane" report.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,978 posts
367 reviews
Save Topic
The definitive "Visa on arrival at Vientiane" report.

Just arrived back from Laos so this is as up to date as it gets.

When flying into Vientiane on an International flight the FA's will give you two forms - Visa Application and Customs Declaration. To save time complete these before you land.

In the arrival hall you will see the Visa desk to your right, just beyond the large table on which those who didn't fill in the forms on the aircraft are scribbling like mad so not to be at the back of the queue.

Join the first queue and present your application form, passport and photos. [Note - the form says 3 photos, we took 2 and were given 1 back ! Also if you have forgot to bring any they will snap you there for a $]

What you will notice is that you are greeted with a smile - this is Laos!

You are then directed to the second queue where you wait whilst your Visa is processed and are called forward to pay your fee (varies from country to country and is currently $35 for the UK)and collect your passport.

You then go through passport control (another smile)collect your luggage and pass through Customs ,handing in your Declaration Form. More smiles.

Enjoy Laos before it changes - it is like no where else in SE Asia.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The definitive "Visa on arrival at Vientiane" report.

It's ironic that there is a list posted and all the different nationalities have different visa fees!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The definitive "Visa on arrival at Vientiane" report.

Silver,

Thanks for the post. I don't see the logic in different fees for different nationalities.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
31 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The definitive "Visa on arrival at Vientiane" report.

Often, the fees are based on how much the opposite country charges for visas.

Alabama
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The definitive "Visa on arrival at Vientiane" report.

Actually, I was just in Laos last week and I had lost my 2 VISA photos. No big deal-----they didn't even take another picture. They just charged me $1 more than my friend! She paid $35 for her Visa and I paid $36 for mine! We talked about how it was cheaper to "forget" your photos and just pay $1 more than get your photo made somewhere before you leave and you end up paying more! Ha!

Black Isle Highlands
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The definitive "Visa on arrival at Vientiane" report.

Do you need a contact address to obtain the visa as I have seen on some websites? We have booked 3hotels but are travelling independantly and will be in Laos for 6days only.The passport,photos and $35 is all we need? We are flying to Luang Prabang.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The definitive "Visa on arrival at Vientiane" report.

"Do you need a contact address"

No not really. You can put down anything anyway. It won't be checked.

7. Re: The definitive "Visa on arrival at Vientiane" report.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 18:16