We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itineray and flights, please!

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
France
Level Contributor
208 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itineray and flights, please!

Hello every one.

We are planning on flying- at the beginning of November- from Bangkok to Laos, visiting Vientiane, XK (the plain of jars), Luang Prabang,. We hope to fly from L.P. or Vientiane to Kun Ming-China without having to go back to Bangkok.

I have also read the warnings re: Laos Airlines web site (in Paris) vs the real

Lao Airlines although I have to say Laos replied very quickly to my inquiry whereas I am still awaiting news from Lao Airlines.

1) We shall arrive in Bangkok on November 1st. Would it be too risky to wait until then to buy tickets on Lao or Thai Airways as there does not seem to be many flights between each point. We are planning to spend 2 days in BKK to search for flights. Any suggestions re: reliable travel agencies, please?

2) It looks like there is only one (1) flight a week, on Sunday, from Vientiane or L.P to the Plain of Jars? Any suggestions please for an alternative mean of transportation and the time this would take?

3) Is it easier/shorter flight/cheaper to fly from L. Prabang or from Vientiane to Kun Ming?

4) which is the best option to go between Kun Ming back to BKK? I realize this is a Vientiane forum, but all suggestions are welcome!

Thank you for your help.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itineray and flights, please!

check out the Lao airlines website for schedules. they list all flight details there. I think in high season there are far more flights. Just checked and there are many days. 2 flight there in the am and 2 returns. seems to only miss one day in the week.

Check with Lao airlines. I had no trouble getting my flights on the net.

Have heard the warnings too. Have flown Lao air. They are much like other small airlines now. You are on a main route to Plain of jars. can do from Vientiane or Luang Prabang.

think it's quicker to fly to Kun Ming from Luang Prabang. Check your atlas. You can google too.

U can wait until u get to BKK but it is high season. U might be fine in November still. It's pretty cheap on the net.

have a good time

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,870 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itineray and flights, please!

Methinks much better to book etickets on line before you go-I used Thai,Laoair and Bangkok Air and it all worked perfectly.

Surprised Laoairlines are not booking on line for November.I know I had problems with the site until I started to use Explorer not Firefox.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itineray and flights, please!

An alternative is to take the overnight train from Bangkok to Nong Khai, tuk tuk to the Friendship Bridge, cross into Laos, and then another tuk tuk into Vientiane. My wife and I did this last summer, travelling in the first class twin cabin with private wash basin, which cost about 1500 Baht each inc booking fees. We booked through Traveller 2000 who were excellent. Even with a 1hr delay to the train, we were in Vientiane around 11am, and it was a great experience. But make sure you allow plenty of time to get from Suvarnabhumi airport to the train station as we got stuck in traffic and ended up jumping off the bus, running to a station and then taking sky train and tube to get to the rail station in time to collect our tickets. We landed at 4.10pm and got to the station at 8.00pm!!!

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itineray and flights, please!

Apparently James is not aware of international news. Their is currently a strike by rail and airport employees which is directed against the current Samak government. With a bit of luck you should be ok in November, but watch the situation.

5. Re: Help with itineray and flights, please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 09:24