We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus route from Pattaya to Vientiane.

Goa/Pattaya/Cambodia...
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Bus route from Pattaya to Vientiane.

Could anyone please explain the bus route to take from Pattaya to Vientiane,how long the journey takes and the cost. Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus route from Pattaya to Vientiane.

There are buses every 30 mins or so from pataya to BKK, takes about 3 hours and a little over 100bt cost.

From BKK you take a regular bus (several per day plus a night bus)to Udon Thani or (less regular) to Nong Khai at the Laos border. Takes about 8 hours and costs about 350bt.

From there there are many easy ways to cross the border and travel the last 20km or so to Vnte (taxi, bus, tuktuk etc)

Mentioned in this post
Udon Thani
Udon Thani
Udon Thani Province, Thailand
Nong Khai
Nong Khai
Nong Khai Province, Thailand
Laos
Laos
Asia
Goa/Pattaya/Cambodia...
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus route from Pattaya to Vientiane.

Thankyou very much for your help Bluecramp.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,441 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus route from Pattaya to Vientiane.

You don't need to stop at Udon or Nong Khai. There is a direct bus to Bangkok via the Friendship Bridge:

Tickets are available at most guesthouses and travel agents around town. Leaves daily at 17:00 and arrives at Khao San Road at around 06:00.

Mentioned in this post
Nong Khai
Nong Khai
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Goa/Pattaya/Cambodia...
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus route from Pattaya to Vientiane.

Thanks Rufuscat..so i can get a direct bus from Khao san road in Bangkok direct to friendship bridge?..Would i just book that at an agents?

Mentioned in this post
Khao San Road
Khao San Road
11,397 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus route from Pattaya to Vientiane.

This is rather hard to find the direct bus from Bangkok to Friendship border crossing because of limited bus departure. I still suggest you to take bus from Bangkok to Nongkhai then take a Tuk Tuk to the border get to enter Laos at little more cost.

If you still want to take the direct bus BKK to border gate, you may spend quite much time to wait at the bus station.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Laos
Laos
Asia
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,441 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus route from Pattaya to Vientiane.

Yes you can. Its called the Sabaidee bus. Book it at Khao San road. Saves time mucking about in Udon. Another alternative is the overnight train to Nong Khai, but then you will still have to take a tuk tuk to the Friendship Bridge.

Mentioned in this post
Nong Khai
Nong Khai
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,441 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus route from Pattaya to Vientiane.

I don't know what the previous poster is on about. Here is the information from "Virtual tourist."

"There are daily buses from Khao San Road directly to Laos (Vientiane) leaving in the evening, and arriving in the early morning. They are modern 2 storey buses with video, music, WC... For about 6 USD you get the transportation, border crossing guide with the group, and the dinner included.

You can book it at any guesthouse or travel agency, Nat Guest House is one of the classic ones."

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Vientiane
Vientiane
Goa/Pattaya/Cambodia...
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus route from Pattaya to Vientiane.

Thanks Rufuscat: Don't really fancy the train so what i will probably do is head for Bangkok,stay in Khao san road one night and get booked on the Sabaidee bus for the following day. Any reccomendations for a decent,not to expensive guesthouse in Vientiane?

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Khao San Road
Khao San Road
11,397 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,441 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus route from Pattaya to Vientiane.

Depends on how much you want to spend. friend of mine who posts on this site recommends the Vayakorn, and this place is pretty central to everything. (How much Maneki?) I have put a few people up at the Manoly Guesthouse. This place is a lovely restored French colonial mansion, has a small pool and large rooms. $30.00 per night, but about a 10 minute walk to the heart of things. Pleasant walk really.

There are cheaper places for about $10.00 a night as well.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,441 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus route from Pattaya to Vientiane.

Sorry, that should be Villa Manoly.