We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vientiane to Luang Prabang

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
3 posts
Save Topic
Vientiane to Luang Prabang

Whats is the best way of getting from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, and how long does this take?

Many thanks

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vientiane to Luang Prabang

I'm not sure what the 'best' way is to be honest, in my very limited experience in Lao I have taken the road and I've flown. The road trip was fantastic, but I do need to add that I was travelling with a friend in a very comfy Toyota and we stopped in Vang Viang on the way up for the night and we stopped where we wanted to take pictures or eat or whatever, the scenery is stunning. The bus journey is certainly cheap and if you have the time (a long day)maybe it's an option you should consider, but some people I know who did it hated it, however, some people said it was fine. I think there's a minvan option too. Flying is fairly cheap and is quick, 40 mins in the air on a smallish turbo-prop, a few flights a day, so you can usually find one to fit your schedule if you are tight for time.

Others will have much better advice I'm sure

Hope you enjoy this fantastic place.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vientiane to Luang Prabang

If you fly, it's 30 minutes and abotu $120 round trip. If you take the bus it's 11 hours for a regular bus (about $7) and 9 hours for the VIP bus ( a fe bucks more). Time is money for me, so I always fly...

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vientiane to Luang Prabang

The best way by far is as Maneki has suggested - fly. Just came back from there where I spent Pi Mai Lao.

Ware, Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vientiane to Luang Prabang

Yep! Fly - especially if you want to go during the rainy season - the roads are still not perfect.

Usually, your hotel concierge, or a local travel agency can find a flight for you. Beware, though. Flights fill up fast, so try to book well in advance.

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vientiane to Luang Prabang

Hi All,

Can someone give me advice on flights from Vientiane to Luang Prabang? I mean what airlines?

Thanks Lindy.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Vientiane to Luang Prabang

Marlynjoy,

Lao Airlines holds a monopoly on the Luang Prabang-Vientiane route.

7. Re: Vientiane to Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2010, 05:26