We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vientiane or Luang Prabang

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
36 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Vientiane or Luang Prabang

I am planning a 4 nights 5 days trip - Was planning to stay all the nights in Luang Prabang - but now am wondering whether I should stay over at Vientiane for 1 night instead? Any suggestions.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vientiane or Luang Prabang

What tme are you getting to Vientiane? How are you planning to go to LP? Fly? Bus?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
36 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vientiane or Luang Prabang

I will be reaching Vientiane at 4.45pm.. That day I have to stay over.. The decision that I want to make is whether I should take the early morning flt to LP or take the one at 4.30pm.. I plan to fly Laos airlines.. Then in LP I hv 4 nights..

Laos
Level Contributor
502 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vientiane or Luang Prabang

While you are in Vientiane anyway, I would recommend getting the later flight and exploring the city for a few hours.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vientiane or Luang Prabang

Agree with Lao Info.

Griffith
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vientiane or Luang Prabang

Also agree with the above. In 2007 we had a small amount of time in vietiane before heading north. We visited the Golden Stupa and Wat Si Saket. We felt this was worth it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
426 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vientiane or Luang Prabang

We got back from Laos two days ago.

If you are going to be in Vientiane you might as well spend the day there and get the later flight.

My suggestion would be first night have dinner at a street stall along the river. We did both nights and the food was great. Then maybe just a casual walk around and finish with a foot massage.

Next morning get a tuk tuk to visit COPE. It is definitely better than all the so called attractions around town and will open your eyes to what we don't hear about the country. Then you could have a look around the Morning Market and a walk up to see the Patuxai. If time permits you could get a tuk tuk to That Luang although we found that to be a little under whelming. Perhaps just continue to stroll around the streets until it is time for your flight.

It is not a great city but if you are going to be there it would be silly not to at least spend some time.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vientiane or Luang Prabang

My take on the museums and wats in Vientiane....we went to Vientiane directly from Angkor Wat and Luang Prabang....and was blown away by the beauty of the wats and buddhas, even after seeing the other sites. And I wasn't particularly interested in buddhas until I saw Vientiane!

Just my own personal reaction...

8. Re: Vientiane or Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2011, 05:19