We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuk tuk prices

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tuk tuk prices

Hi there

Just wondering around how much tuk tuk/taxi rides are for around 5km in Vientiane?

Just trying to decide how far away to stay is too far!

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuk tuk prices

The ones around Nam Phou will show you a card with prices on it, but they are inflated and you can bargain. Prices realy depend from where to where you are going and where you catch the tuk tuk.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuk tuk prices

Tuktuk costs can vary wildly and you always need to bargain, and walk away to another if necessary. Before the SEA games last year, the laminated cards were introduced with "approved prices" on in the main tourist areas, but these were designed to fleece as many visitors as possible whilst the games were on. They will still show you these cards but no-one pays these rates.

From the airport to the town centre is about 5km, and the bottom line charge for a private tuktuk is about 30,000-40,000kip although they will often ask for 50-60,000. ($US1=about 8000kip now)

The price is similar from the river to That Luang, which is about 4km.

So - for 5km you're looking at about $5.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuk tuk prices

Make sure you bargain hard. We went to the Buddha Park and the laminated card said 195,000 kip but by bargaining and walking away we got it fo 90,000 kip.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuk tuk prices

Tuk-tuk drivers in VTE are total sharks, you have to bargain hard. If they don't accept your price, just walk away and ask the next guy. I've found that the guys right outside of my guesthouse will give me a better deal becasue they know I will probably use them again...

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuk tuk prices

Technically, in the shared tuk-tuks, it should be 5,000 kip per person for anywhere within the main part of Vientiane, that's what the Lao pay. However, as a "falang" you will definitely be charged more and, as others have said, they will try to rip you off. I've never managed to get it down further than 10,000 kip per person and that's with the language and actually knowing the tuk-tuk driver!

In reality, I would expect to pay 20,000 kip per person as a tourist. Often, if you walk a bit away from the centre and the tourist-savvy tuk-tuk drivers and flag down a tuk-tuk which is moving rather than the stationary ones then I've found they're often more straightforward and won't rip you off...well not as much anyway! They're less likely to speak any English though.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
192 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuk tuk prices

Hi.

How much is tuktuk for a day ride? Am thinking of taking tuktuk straight from the airport to all VTE touristic spots (Patuxai, Museum etc)?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tuk tuk prices

Firstly, there is no tuk tuk available at the airport. To catch a tuk tuk you need to walk about 200 metres from the terminal to the main road. Secondly, the cost varies according to what you can negotiate. You would probably be looking at 150,000 to 200,000 kip for the day.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
192 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tuk tuk prices

How many can fit in the tuktuk?

Are the same with Phnom Penh's (4pax) or the one in Siem Reap (2pax only)?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tuk tuk prices

There are Jumbos, tuk tuks and sky labs, (suckeyelab), from ascending to descending order. About 3-4 in a jumbo up to 6-7 squashed in a sky lab.

Edited: 09 November 2010, 02:54
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tuk tuk prices

That should of course read descending to ascending order in size.