We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vientiane or Luang Prabang

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
vientiane or Luang Prabang

we are fit 60 year olds but prefer comfort and style in hotels. Planning to visit Laos Feb 2012, should we include 2 nights in Vientiane or spend more time in Luang Prabang. Advice please. Or any suggestions re other places in Laos to stay.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vientiane or Luang Prabang

Depends on how long you are in Laos.

I think 2 days is tops for Vientiane & you can easily spend a week to 10 days walking around Luang Prabang. LPB has a lot more character as a world heritage city. Also LPB now has some very upmarket hotels but try & pick one close to the centre of town so you do not have to get a tuk tuk every time you want to go somewhere..

Laos
Level Contributor
502 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vientiane or Luang Prabang

How much time do you currently have allocated for Luang Prabang?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vientiane or Luang Prabang

I would recommend Luang Prabang. There's not all that much to to in Vientiane, whereas LPB is a beautiful place with plenty to do and a laid back atmosphere.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,376 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vientiane or Luang Prabang

Definitely spend at last 2 days in Vientiane. There is lots to do and many sites to see. In addition, the food is significantly better.

Laos
Level Contributor
502 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vientiane or Luang Prabang

Have to agree with RC on that one - the food is most definitely better in Vientiane.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vientiane or Luang Prabang

How to reach LP from Vientiane? Is there a night bus? How much does it charge? Suggest some cheap guest houses in Vientiane? Any tips for the stay and places to see in VTE?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vientiane or Luang Prabang

Food is awesome in Vientianne but LP is still far lovelier with lots to do and food is cheap and great there too. Just do some research on the restaurants. U can eat at the hotels too even if u aren't staying there and the cafes have a wide choice. There's lots of french influence in the food.

Travel- There is a bus which takes very long time and from Van Vieng (about mid way) to LP it gets very curvy. If u aren't going to look at the scenery. FLY!! You will get to enjoy the time and not be tired.

If u do bus it, Van Vieng is a lovely stopover esp with a stay at a place on the river. The scenery is beautiful though the town is unusual. I have my photo from Van Vieng as my screen saver. Soooo lovely and peaceful. It depends on how much time you have. The Vansana is a lovely hotel. Request room with balcony. I am around your age and loved the kayaking trip here. Also trip on loop on other side of river, u can hire bikes, scooters cars or tour it. Love the place. The town is a bit hippyish but the surroundings out of this world. I can recommend more stuff about any of this. also we got together with people we met kayaking and hired a minibus to do the bit from Van Vieng to LP. This was fantastic. We got to stop along the way to check things out, take photos, eat. The bus went roaring past and we were glad we did it this way. You can often join up with others. The companies put out boards inviting people to join up to fill a minibus.

Have been twice and cant wait to go back

8. Re: vientiane or Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 03:17