We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Consulate in Vientiane

Florida
Level Contributor
601 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thai Consulate in Vientiane

A couple of years ago I went to Vientiane, after a 30 day stay in Thailand to process through the Thai consulate for a 60 day Tourist visa for Thailand. The process, needless to say, was pretty unpleasant. Spent over 4 hours processing (with what seemed like the entire Red Army) one day and over 3 hours the next day to have my passport with visa stamp returned. Have things changed for the better or, God forbid, gotten worse?

Mentioned in this post
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
Little Hanoi
££ - £££, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese
Highland Bar
££ - £££, Bar, Pub, Thai
Bangkok Noi
££ - £££, Asian, Thai, Healthy
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,458 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thai Consulate in Vientiane

If you have all your papers in order you could even pay for someone to do it for you. Pick it up the next day.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,324 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thai Consulate in Vientiane

I got a 60 day visa last year- 2 hours queuing to drop the application off and 1.5. hours the following day to pick it up. The application takes a minute, its just the huge volume of people queuing that takes up time

Nong Khai, Thailand
Level Contributor
181 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thai Consulate in Vientiane

As for you experience in Vientiane, it sounds like you caught them on a bad day. Yes it can be a little hectic but it generally is not as bad as you experienced. I am across every 2 or 3 weeks or so (not a visa runner, just being helpful) and my experience is, even on a busy Monday morning a wait of about 2.5 hours maximum on drop off day and less than 20 minutes on pick up day.

I was there this morning, May 14, 2012 and had the four backpackers through and done in less than 2 hours...and was a normal Monday.

Vientiane worth re visiting again as it has some great sites to see and fantastic restaurants such as la Scala (have not been but heard many good stories), Le Provencal (very nice, in my opinion) and Le Silapa to name a few.

Mentioned in this post
Vientiane
Vientiane
Florida
Level Contributor
601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Thai Consulate in Vientiane

You are probably right. My understanding is that the consulate in Vientiane was either moving to or from their current location at the time we processed. We had no documentation problems at all with the exception of filling out and printing the visa application from the consulate website. When it came time to turn in the paperwork they told us it was the wrong visa application form. So, we had to start from scratch among a crowd of 300 hundred or so. Don't know why their website application was different. I have learned over the years to not get upset about the things you cannot change.

Mentioned in this post
Vientiane
Vientiane
5. Re: Thai Consulate in Vientiane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:17