We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant list 2012-2013

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant list 2012-2013

Lao

For good quality Lao food

Amphone

In the small lane next to the Jazzy Brick Bar. This serves really good quality Lao food in a very pleasant setting. Not expensive and can BYO

Kua Lao

Kua Lao and Tamnak Lao serve good quality Laos food. Kua Lao is just a bit better. Both have a floorshow of Lao music and dancing, which sounds kitschy, but is in fact not so at all. These are both excellent places to take visitors. Can BYO

Kong Kao

Good Lao food in a garden or indoor setting. They make a very tasty laab.

Street Food: try the food stalls near the That Luang market.

There are quite a few street food stalls and open restaurants in Rue Francois Ngin that have tasty food.

Makphet

Not my cup of tea as the food is not authentic Lao, but dumbed down for westerners. Expensive too.

Best Fried Chicken

KFC -

no not that one! Khouvieng Fried Chicken on Khouvieng Boulevard.

BBQ -

the best sindad without a doubt is Poysian Bulkokee, as evidenced that it is always full of Lao. This offers a good variety of food for your steamboat and is very pleasant in the warmer weather. It is a bit out of the centre of town, but is definitely worth the trip.

French

Bistro 22, 22 Samsenthai Rd. Good bistro style food. Phillipe serves an excellent Steak Tartare as well. You can BYO wine for no corkage.

La Terrace. This used to be my staple, but it has gone upmarket and is now expensive, though the food hasn't changed. They charge a ridiculous 50,000kip corkage. Good location. Still make the best pizzas in town imo.

Cote D'Azur.

Big range of food, well cooked. Nice atmosphere.

Le Silapa.

Good food, and a strong wine list. A bit expensive for what they offer though.

La Vendome.

Every time i have been here the place has been packed with westerners, tourists and Lao. The food is very good and not expensive. This is a very nice setting as well. Can BYO

Le Provencal

On Nam Phou square. This is a real bistro style french restaurant with good pizza and very good steak. Can byo for no corkage. It is a very good place to meet people as well. Avoid the other restaurants in this area; they are overpriced and/or not great..

Dong Deaune

Cheap and good French food. The stuffed chicken is a perennial favourite. They offer a very limited wine list, but the wines are very good quality and are cheap. In Rue Francois Ngin

Italian

La Scala

Has very good Italian food and an excellent wine list with the emphasis on Italian wines. The ambience is very pleasant. Definitely a special night out. This is by far the best Italian restaurant in Vientiane, and in my view the best restaurant per se in town. - ignore the TA reviews. It is on Thadeua Rd, the road that goes to the Australian Embassy.

Aria

Ok but the food is a bit bit hit and miss at times. Lacks the ambience of the above as well. Certainly nowhere near as good as its TA reviews. ( I wonder why.) Overpriced by a long way for what it is.

La Opera

used to be the no. 1 in town but is living a bit on its past glory. You can still get very good food there though.

Bars

Kop Chai Deu. While there are better places to eat, the food is not bad at all, and it is certainly a good place to sit, have a beer and people watch.

Martini Bar

Good place to go for a drink

Jazzy Brick

A bit expensive but a good night out. See how the rich Lao kids spend their time.

Bakeries/Cafes

Scandinavian Bakery. JoMa is full of backpackers. Scandinavian Bakery gets the expats. It is cheaper and the cakes are better.

Others

Istanbul.

Good and cheap Turkish food. No corkage charge.

Fuji

Expensive Japanese but pretty good. This is a Thai chain.

Chock Dee

Excellent range of beers. The Belgian food is not bad either. Charges no corkage for wine.

There are heaps of other places, of course, but these are my favourite. A quick tip: if you are flying out of Vientiane in the evening, try th buffet at the airport. They have a huge range of food and it is not expensive.

Edited: 25 August 2012, 04:45
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
140 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

Two Thumbs UP.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

Great list Rufus, will be very useful for my stay end of October

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

A few more plces to add to possible places to eat. Only 5 weeks until we leave!

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

Lucky you Mandy, I have to wait 6 weeks before finally heading off to Laos

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

Yes great list! Two more I'd like to suggest:

Soul Kitchen - Pizzaria

Yulala - Japanese owned, but no sushi. Hard to describe the type of food served, other than that it's Great!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

Thanks Rufus. I will surely try the Lao restaurants you have recommended. When I was last in Vientiane, I loved the Indian restaurant not far from the fountain (I forget the name but can walk to it easily enough). It didn't make your list, but I recommend it highly for anyone who likes Indian cuisine.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
963 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

Thank you for updating the list Rufuscat!

I'm particularly excited about the Istanbul restaurant....eating there might be the closest we get to Turkey for a while, so we'll have to savour the flavours.

Oh, the only problem with this list is that it is far too mouth watering....might have to extend our time in Vientiane to experience them all!

Malaysia
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

May I know on the price range for cheap category?

Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

I can second some places and and add a couple more,

Scandinavian Bakery for Coffee and Cinnamin rolls

Le Opera for Carbonana or Spagetti Seafood

Le Provencal for Ribeye steak

Khop Chai Dou bar for BBQ skeewers 1/2 way decent burger and frys

Poysian Bulkokee for Korean style BBQ (on T2rd)

I would recommend this one for tourists but close by and more Lao

La Bain Loom same as PB but all you can eat and you pick the

items that you want and as much as you want

Kung Paow Seafood for large shrimp by the kilo

very close to Poysian Bulkokee and LaBain Lomm

BCP (beef chicken pork) for pepper steak and mashed potatoes

many falang dishes and excellent Lao food and salads

its at the downsream end of Fa Ngum rd follow it to the left

go straight thru the traffic light about 3rd building on the right

very popular with the expat community

all these I added are cheaper more casual places for a reasonable price

I haven't found a place I like in the riverside outdoor restaurant area

seems to me the Thai operators are gone and its all Lao now

I'll be back in a month LaBain Loom 1st on my list

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

Cheap for western food is about 30-35,000 Kip. For Lao food about 15-20,000 Kip.