We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vientiane then north?

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
yorkshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Vientiane then north?

Me and my hubby are travelling to Laos at the end of November. We are spending a couple of days in Vientiane and then we're heading north to check out the points of interest. We're looking at travel arrangements..we have nowhere booked after Vientaine but were hoping to call at Vang Vieng and LP..not interested in the tubing just wanting to see the country. We were hoping to get as far north as the Bokeo nature reserve for the gibbon experience but we only have a fortnight and didn't know if this was worth risking intermittent flights or if it was drivable??We're happy to use any form of transport, including motorbikes, but would like to hear from anyone with previous experience of the public transport, flights or rentals that are recommended/avoided..

Would be happy to try anything but have a bit of a dicky back so not sure about something that'll cripple me for the rest of the trip!

Any advice would be hugely appreciated

Mell

Oregon
Level Contributor
309 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vientiane then north?

You're traveling well on the path, so transport shouldn't be a big issue. You can take public buses or minivans between all the points you mention and you'll have no problem finding either. You might consider taking the slow boat from LP to Huay Xai to add a little more adventure (and relaxation) to your trip. Two weeks should be plenty of time. Not sure where you're flying home from, but if it's BKK, you can cross the border into Thailand after the Gibbon experience, take a 2.5 hour bus ride to Chiang Rai and then a cheap flight back to BKK.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vientiane then north?

Thanks Bruce,

You've given us some great options there..will have a good read of the rest of your posts to get some good ideas and tips. Ta xx

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Vientiane then north?

Nell. Please let us know how the trip goes with regard to transport. I am doing the same trip in December and have been told by a friend that it is easy to catch the bus to van vieng and luang prabang

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vientiane then north?

If you use the road to get from Vientiane up to Houayxai in stages, in addition to Bruces' suggestions, you could save road time by flying back to Vientiane from houayxai - there are 3x flight per week. This flight sometimes gets cancelled in the wet season due to low cloud but this time of year you should be fine. You can then take the night sleeper train to Bangkok, or bus to Udon and get a budget flight from there to BKK (about $50 ).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vientiane then north?

I got overnight train from Bangkok to Nong Kai then mini bus from Vientiane to LP. The mini van changed at Vang Vieng to a newer model and it was fine. It is well worth doing the road trip between Vang Vieng and LP just for the scenery, the mountains are spectacular and you see the Hmong people in their villages. Alternatively there are private vehicles available which are more expensive but they will stop whenever you ask them to for photos etc. LP has plenty of flights back to Bangkok with bangkok Air and Laos Air or you can get a flight from Chiang Rai if you get that far north. I would get a mini van from Vientiane to LP rather than a bus. It is still cheap and you can get them from central or Northern bus station in Vientiane. Luang Prabang is a special place. Have a great trip.

6. Re: Vientiane then north?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 12:17