We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vientiane to plain of jars

brisbane
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vientiane to plain of jars

Can anyone recommend the best & safest method of travel from vientiane to the plain of jars.( ie private car/mini van/bus or plane. We will go overland from plain of jars to Luang Prabang. We have 2 weeks in Laos.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vientiane to plain of jars

are you planning on visiting Vang Vieng as well? if so, you can get a bus from VV to Phonsavan.

We went the other way - LP to Phonsavan by minibus and then flew to Vte. Just be aware that flights from Vte to Phonsavan (on Lao airline schedules as XKH) only go 3x a week - it's an out and back in one afternoon flight - so you have to make your days mesh up if you want to fly.

My blog from our Laos trip might help …blogspot.com.au/2011/07/day-5-on-road-to-ph… (days 5-8 cover Phonsavan)

if you have 3 or more flights in Laos/Thailand/Cambodia the Bangkok Airlines Discovery Pass may be worth checking out.

cheers

helen

brisbane
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vientiane to plain of jars

Would you recommend vang vieng? We are totally open at this point, just want to spend 2 weeks seeing best of Laos in this time frame. We are only in Laos this holiday and have already traveled through rest of asia many times before. Laos is our last unseen Asian countryside all recommendations appreciated.

Edited: 10 April 2013, 11:25
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vientiane to plain of jars

we didn't get to VV on that trip but now that it has been cleaned up a bit from the crazy tubing & party antics it is firmly on the list for next time. Pics I've seen of the scenery are spectacular and many posters recommend several days. If you have the time I'd say go for it. We're also considering down round 4000 islands too on the next trip.

See if you can find some trip reports (sometimes called JBR - just back reports) using the search box directly above your post - there are links there to several other blogs by aussies that will make great reading/research

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vientiane to plain of jars

I'd opt to fly to Phonsavan, then by bus or mini-van to Luang Prabang. After your time there, break up the trip back to Vientiane in Vang Vieng, allow 2 full days for that if you can. The karst scenery/caves/river views are stunning. I have been there twice and the partying idiots are 5kms out of town, I never did see them!

You wil not have time to include the 4000 islands area if you opt to see the above places.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,778 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vientiane to plain of jars

I agree with poster no. 4, VV is beautiful.

We went by road Vientiane- VV-Phonsaven-LP but would not do it again. The roads are slow and very winding and as beautiful as the scenery is, it can become monotonous after a few hours. I would consider travelling t part of the way by air if budget allows . In November the only flights to Phonsaven area were from Vientiane.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vientiane to plain of jars

I was with my Lao friend on my last trip and we took a mini-van from LP~VV and my friend got pretty carsick (he said he had never been carsick before). As poster #5 said, the roads are extremely windy and many will have been washed out (=very slow-going!) after rainy season. We had the last hour on a gravel road going 20 mph on a washed out road heading into VV in March...

Edited: 10 April 2013, 22:27
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,220 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vientiane to plain of jars

I would fly there and take the a mini bus back

Penang Island...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vientiane to plain of jars

So, will be go thru the same terrible road journey if we fly from Vientiane to LP then take bus/van back to Vientiane going thru Phonsaven?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vientiane to plain of jars

'same terrible road journey' ... roads in Laos are not the same as roads in other parts of the wold, and yes, in some places the surface is terrible but the stunningly beautiful scenery more than makes up for this.

You can bus/minibus from LP to Phonsavan and then fly from there to Vientiane

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
490 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vientiane to plain of jars

I have to agree with thmoore, the scenery well and truly makes up for the road. It is jaw dropping amazing around every bend, have your camera ready.