We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kewarra Beach...
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Wine

Anyone have any idea of wine availability and price in Laos?

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine

It is widely available in Vientiane and also LP, to a lesser degree. Other main towns - Savannakhet, Pakse, Oudomxai etc have a limited range in just a few places.

Prices are not as cheap as France, or UK or NZ supermarkets by a long way, but are cheaper than places like the Philippines and Thailand. A 3l box of passable chiliean red table wine is 150,000 kip (US$19), a bottle $10.

A NZ pinot noir that I like is US18 here - I pay equivalent of US$12.50 in NZ, so a little more for the transit.

I always find wine in Australia relatively expensive - with wine not being sold by supermarkets there you don't have the huge competition driving the prices down that NZ enjoys - so you will probably find the prices in Vientiane very reasonable.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine

Hi, French wines are significantly cheaper here than in Australia or New Zealand unless you buy Australian wines online from a discount retailer. Fine wines are certainly cheaper than in the UK. Bordeaux is readily available and is quite cheap, particularly some decent Cru Bourgeois , There is also a good range of Rhone and Southern Rhone available.

There are a number of places to look: Vansom wines has an excellent range, including First Growth Bordeaux at cheaper prices than you an get them in France, unless on indent. Baravin has a good range of Rhones and wines from Provence. That Dam wine shop - an offshoot of Vansom - has some decent wines available. What is difficult to get hold of are decent Burgundies.

If you like fine wines, then I suggest you eat at La Scala. The owner has an excellent range of Italian wines at prices FAR less than you would pay in Australia. Brunello Di Montalcino Biondi Santi at $120 USD is a ridiculously cheap price for that wine, for example. La Terasse has a very good wine list and if you like decent wines at very cheap prices, try Douang Deaune.

3. Re: Wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 12:37
Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine

Not sure who told you that we don't sell wine in supermarkets but that is certainly not the case at all. Coles, Woolworths, IGA and Aldi all sell alcohol in their stores. Prices can range from $6AUS upwards for wine.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine

#4 - I was going just from my annual trips passing through Sydney - the Woolworths in the centre near Pitt St and the Aldi at Manly has no alcohol for sale (as of late 2013 anyway), and when I asked them they said that they were not allowed to sell it. Perhaps wine in Aus is only for sale in larger suburban supermarkets?

In Sydney bottle shops I was surprised to be paying more for Tasmanian pinot noir than I can get it for in NZ or the UK.

The well known Australian wine Jacobs Creek goes for about US$15 in Vientiane - in NZ it is permanently on sale in the supermarkets for about US$8, so whilst there are some reasonably priced wines in Vientiane, I would say it is cheap compared to some other Asian countries, but not when compared to Europe or NZ.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine

8usd=9.5 aud (2.3mil nzd ;-) about normal price for JC in aus.

Aus don't sell wine IN the super market but usually in attached bottleshop (WA anyway)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine

8usd=9.5 aud (2.3mil nzd ;-) about normal price for JC in aus.

Aus don't sell wine IN the super market but usually in attached bottleshop (WA anyway)

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine

Except for Aldi which sells it in the supermarket.

9. Re: Wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2015, 05:15