We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcoholic drinks in Malaysia

cornwall
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Alcoholic drinks in Malaysia

Hi, We are going to Malaysia next Wednesday, for four weeks, we are staying in K.L. and then Borneo and then the rest of the time on Penang, I have picked up just about all the stuff we need to know from this Forum, (good old TripAdvisor, never fails!) but just one thing we haven't been able to find out is whether or not there is a brandy-type drink in Malaysia, we have been told there is one called 'Tandui' forgive spelling, I have never seen it written! and is it possible to buy red wine in the shops, being so close to Australia I wondered if they may import!! ( one can always hope!) other than that I think it may be a box in the suitcase. If any of you great people out there can help me I would be much obliged. Many Thanks, Maggie

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
912 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcoholic drinks in Malaysia

Dear travellers2,

I don't think you can't bring alcohol into your flight.

Most wine in Malaysia are imported, you can easily buy those in Penang/KL not sure about Borneo (big city like Kuching/Sibu should have a lot).

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcoholic drinks in Malaysia

Hi Maggie

I've never heard of a locally produced "brandy-type" drink. Wines are readily available from wine shops (both in KL and Penang). I can only speak for KL: the selection here is pretty good ... Aussies, NZ, Chilean, even "old world" vineyards. Not cheap though ... about 12 quid for a decent Aussie/NZ bottle. Al-cheapos cost about 8 quid. The NZ Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc costs 22 quid and the very nice Petaluma Cab Sav's 25 quid. You should buy duty-free spirits (less than 10 quid for an Absolut or Bombay or Gordons) ... these cost 20 quid at the supermarket.

Not sure where in Borneo you're going ... Kota Kinabalu, Kuching or shocking! Brunei Darulsalaam ... the first 2 are not "dry" (ie you can buy alcohol in shops and hotels0 but Brunei's dry.

If you decide to BYOB, just remember to leave it in the check-in suitcase!

Have fun!

cornwall
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcoholic drinks in Malaysia

Thank you both for your replies, I think it's going to be a 'try and see' time, we are going to K.K. but I don't think I will want to be spending that much on wine! I don't here at home, maybe an occasional treat. I reckon we will stick to beer!! a nice cold one to wash the tonsils at the end of the day!!!

Thank you, for taking the trouble to answer.

Maggie

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
686 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcoholic drinks in Malaysia

In all major hotels you can get wine.

Tiger beer is the local beer and my husband never seems to have a problem with it!!!!

cornwall
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcoholic drinks in Malaysia

Thank you AliBristol,

If Tiger beer is similar to Singha beer that we got in Thailand that will be fine. I think I will be putting a box of wine in my suitcase, and just keep it for 'sundowners'!

Many thanks for your reply,

Maggie

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcoholic drinks in Malaysia

Hi all

Flying to KL and then onto Penang from Manchester Tue 5th Feb 08. Never been so looking forward to it and greatful for all the advice on this site.

About alcohol. When you mentioned 'Check in suitcase' do you mean hand baggage or literally our large suitcase. We are thinking of buying a couple of bottles of spirits in KL or Abhu Dabi and carrying them in our hand luggage. Is this permissable? Thank you.

R

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcoholic drinks in Malaysia

Hi R,

You can try to put wine in check in baggage but it may be broken during transportation (you know how baggage is thrown about by airport staff), make sure you put lots of paper around the wine.

You cannot bring or hide any liquid over 50ml in check in baggage, it will all be confisticated.

By right, you can only bring in a 1 litre of alcohol including duty free. If you keep in luggage and buy duty free, it is ok if custom doesn't ask you to open luggage and duty free.

Wine lovers definitely bring 1 bottle of their fav wine as it is pricier here and airport duty free has poor selection.

You can get decently priced beer in food stall or supermarket.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,421 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcoholic drinks in Malaysia

Travellers2

You will be able to buy duty free wine ,brandy, whisky at all international airport .

Each traveler allow 1 liter of duty free drink,excess you need to pay duty,the authority imposed very high duty on all drink.

Any amount in excess of 1 liter that you brought in also subject to extremely high import duty.

All wine and alcholic drink are readily available at liquer shop and super market.

Cheer ,bottom up

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcoholic drinks in Malaysia

Hi AlexMcca

Thank you for the advice. Didn't know about the 50ml rule? If alcohol can be bought in supermarkets etc, is it very expensive?

Also staying at the E and O for two weeks, can you recommend any good restaurants in the area please. Love all types of foods! Will be visiting the hawker stalls too. Can you recommend some favourites please? Thanks.

Rayma

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcoholic drinks in Malaysia

Hi Rayma,

The 50ml liquid restriction on hand carry baggage and bags has been enforced since London's foiled attempt by terrorists in 2006.

You can still put your shampoo and other liquid bottle in the check in baggage. So remember, you cannot even bring mineral water into airport departure custom check point anywhere in the world.

Anything purchased after the check point such as duty free alcohol and mineral water from airport kiosk is alright.It is amazing how the terrorist attempts (coincidentally these were first caught in the UK, the shoe and liquid bombers) can affect the security measures worldwide.

Buy hard liquor (volka, brandy, etc) at duty free airport as it is cheaper than the UK but wine selection is poor. If you want wine (and not wanting to bring from the uk), you can buy cheaper ones at supermarkets such as Tesco (yes the chain from the UK), Giant, Cold Storage,etc in KL and Penang.

Prices range from GBP 5 - GBP 7 for the cheapest wine selection (which costs almost the same as UK high street prices)from Australia and Chile.

With regards to restuarant choices, I am not expert in Penang as locals mostly head for the street food in Gurney Drive and Pulau Tikus. Penang is famous for its chinese and Indian street food. You can also find Thai and Baba Nyonya (fusion of chinese and Malay) cuisines in town.