We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jbr

Argenton-sur-Creuse...
Level Contributor
84 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
jbr

Hi just back and knackered but wanted to thank all who replied to my questions and to all the other questions from other people which I was able to use too.

Stopped two nights in Kl at the Royale Chulane which was a good base as it's close to Bukit Bintang - all the food halls, shops and Alor Street. The staff were friendly, accommodation good, breakfast had everything. The hotel itself seemed very big and empty so lacked a bit of atmosphere. While there we met up with friends at Bangsar village and ate at a chinese restaurant called Reunion. Everything was excellent and I would recommend it if you're in the area - but book as it's popular with locals.

Off to Bali and then back to Kl for one night at the Maya. We were upgraded but if I'd paid full price for the room would have been disappointed. The walkways from one part of the hotel to the other were difficult for a couple of us - too high, too open. The pool isn't really for swimming but great for aching muscles.We hadn't taken breakfast but went to an Indian cafe called NZ just one block away. Breakfast for 4 was less than breakfast for one in the hotel and I had an excellent stuffed pancake and then we shared a conical pancake with honey which was very good.

Travelled up to Penang by car with a very good driver called Saari. We went via Teluk Intan to visit the rubber/ oil palm estate we used to live on. The manager very kindly let us visit the house and the swimming pool - neither of which had changed in 40 years - a bit weird that. The drive was a bit long and most of it on the back road but it's a good way to see the countryside and small villages.

Crossed over by ferry and tried looking for jellyfish but didn't see any. We stayed a Clove Hall which was just like staying with friends. Staff and owners were very helpful, the rooms are lovely and the pool was a very calm place to cool off.

We'd arranged to visit another estate near Kulim where the manager showed us around the estate and his wife cooked us a really good Indian meal. Everyone was really welcoming. Again the house hadn't changed at all. There is a treetop walk at Sungei Sidim which we went to. It was a great experience strolling through the trees and we even had a tropical downpour to round it all off. It wasa very special part of our holiday.

Back to Penang and a trip to Guerney Drive for food but with Chinese New Year the place was packed and we ended up in the quieter Malay section for satays and noodles and then off to the Plaza for icecream which shocked us by being so expensive.

Off to Langkawi and the Berjaya. Loved the rooms, the beach and the wildlife. We thought the food was expensive and nothing special except in the Thai restaurant. Can't believe the people who bag the sunloungers and don't use them for most of the day. It's unecessary as we managed to get one at any time of day. On our last day someone even moved our stuff off two of the loungers while we were in the sea so they could have "their usual place"

From there we went up the cable car which is a good place to get a sense of the island. WE went up at 10am which is a good time as there are less people and we didn't queue at all.

We went on Dev's mangrove tour with Selva an enthusiastic and interesting guide. Thanks to all who recommended this tour as I think you learn more and see more than the others. I also got to plant a tree which was a priviledge. I will definitely do this again. I was sad we didn't manage to do the nature tours around the Berjaya but they were booked by the time we got ourselves organised.

We also went to the night market by the airport which was an interesting experience with food I hadn't seen before. Those pancake type things with sweetcorn and peanut butter I think were one.

Back to Kl and Traders. So shopping and the opportunity to see Avatar which filled in the afternoon before our flight

Now back in France with high winds and laundry to do - already dreaming of next year!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,223 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jbr

Hi

You certainly packed in a lot. Lovely report (I love JBRs)

Happy planning for the next one!

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jbr

thank you for your jbr. what a lovely read. so glad you enjoyed dev's tours. what a shame the dreaded sun-bed bagging has started. until this year i had never seen it at berjaya. i did notice that the beach-towel boys were opening later and later, it was quite funny to watch the 'baggers' stomping up and down, frustrated at having no towels to bag everything while others had breakfast! i really hope enzo and his trusty staff can put a stop to this horrible habit.

pam

3. Re: jbr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2010, 05:17