We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family trip kids age 8, April 2011 - itinery?

cheshire
Level Contributor
399 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
family trip kids age 8, April 2011 - itinery?

we are looking to go to Far East for first time next year and fly from UK. We want a bit of beach time, cities and a bit of sightseeing/culture, thinking fliy to Singapore, have 4 nights there (maybe stay at Sentosa?), then bus to KL or Penang? Or maybe given waether go to East coast Malaysia for scuba? would like to do 2 nights rainforest type thing but would like to stay away from malaria. Im a bit lost really as we usually do America/Canada and its a whole different ball game!

We are two sisters with a child each age 8.

ANY advice greatly welcomed

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,560 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family trip kids age 8, April 2011 - itinery?

Hi

My advise at this time is read, read, read and read some more. See what is what. Research is the best way to learn where things are and what suits YOU best, as we all different.

Rather like the US, remember distances need to be considered. It is a 5 hour bus trip from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, and then another 6 hour from KL to Penang.

Why not look at the Kuala Lumpur forum, there is a top question called FAQs Family JBRs - lots of info.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g298570-i7008-Ku…

Have a good read on sites like this one, pop into a good book store and read a travel guide on the destinations you fancy visiting.

April is a good time any time of year, and the east coast will only just be opening up as its the time of year when the monsoon / prevailing winds change. It always rains in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.

Sentosa or Penang are not the best beaches by far.

Taman Negara is the rainforest in the Peninsular and avoids heading to Borneo - but you may find that you might require malaria medication in Taman Negara (only seek advice from a doctor). Stick to the coast to avoid malaria.

In the various forums where you want to travel, check out the ‘travel guide’ / ‘inside guides’, ‘things to do’ and ‘hotels in . . .’ [where you can can sort by budget and read recent reviews] in the left hand panel of this page,

<---------------------------

then on the right check out FAQs / top questions about . . . . . .

--------------------------->

Also read JBR / just back reports / trip reports etc or search and read some of the questions already posted in this forum. Lots of really useful information about already posted.

There are some really useful information and brochures from the Tourism Malaysian about many places in Malaysia, have a read and see what appeals:

www.tourism.gov.my/corporate/trade.asp…

See what appeals to you, your time schedule and your budgets.

cheshire
Level Contributor
399 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family trip kids age 8, April 2011 - itinery?

many thanks for your great reply! I have been and bought a guidebook today, and will have a good look at all your suggestions. one more question, will we be safe? We have travelled independently with the kids in Europe and America but my husband says hes a bit worried about me and my sister going alone with the kids.....we are very sensible and usually are back in hotel room fo 7pm though!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,560 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family trip kids age 8, April 2011 - itinery?

Will you be safe?

Of course, you will be as safe as you would be in a large city around the world.

Men, think we can live without them! If you have travelled to America then Kuala Lumpur is a breeze.

Just be sensible and take the sort of precautions you would when visiting any city for the first time, get a good map, know where you are heading etc, not flaunting the money and the luxuries etc. Bag snatchers are a reality everywhere, London, Paris, Kuala Lumpur, and even Cheshire!

Hey, its even that safe you can even get back to your room at 10pm quite happily!

I would happily walk around the city by myself (short blond female 50) without any issues. In fact, often, Mr Mitch goes off and does his thing, whilst I go off and do mine!

Have fun!

4. Re: family trip kids age 8, April 2011 - itinery?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2010, 06:21