We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay?

where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2016, 16:30
India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,584 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay?

Sorry to be a tad harsh here, but why would you book a holiday to Malaysia and not know anything about the country your planning to spend your £££ on????

Mentioned in this post
2. Re: where to stay?

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay?

I do 'get' Scotlandscout's comments because:

Nice beach is easy to find - BUT with NO nightlife. Often limited (or very limited choice of food places).

Only places for nightlife are the cities - and these mostly have no or very poor beaches.

Good food is common in Malaysia - but the very best beaches often have limited choices of food and once again - NO nightlife. Also, what do you class as 'good' ? For me the very best food is off the street hawker stalls, Kedi Coppi and in food courts.

Malaysia is a very big country and there are sights of different sorts and types to be seen everywhere.

Best beaches are often isolated or on islands like Langkawi or Tioman or Redang thus limiting access to sights (nighlife and a big choice of food).

Malaysia is nothing like Thailand and nothing like Cancun or any other beach type destination with food and nighlife on the door step.

I think you do need to do some research so that you can find out if Malaysia is the type of destination you are looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Redang Beach Resort
Redang Beach Resort
246 Reviews
Pulau Redang, Malaysia
4. Re: where to stay?

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,584 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay?

'i like going to places ive never been before and explorin new places i dont know much about'

Ok, we all like to visit new places on our travels, and experience different areas, nothing wrong with that at all. That's the beauty of travel..... However we must have some idea of where we are going, and if you dont know much about...find out, then ask specific questions, so you get the most out of visits and any advice we are looking for

You need to do some research of your own first as stated by esorlegin, be it here on TA going through the wealth of info, or perhaps a travel agent to get some pointers, a good guide book too suit your tastes, and budget, not to mention your age group. As you have not indicated any of the above which make it a little difficult........See what I'm getting at?

There are many destinations in Malaysia all offering different holiday experiences.

Mentioned in this post
India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,584 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay?

No we are not judging anything, sorry I really dont get the point of that.

Its pretty annoying for people to be asked to sort out someones itinerary for a holiday who has not looked for themselves first, sorry again to be so blunt.

However as already said, come back with specifics and you will get all the advice/help you need with more information.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,421 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay?

Hi

Sorry James, but I do agree with the others.

Your question is almost too big to answer.

How long are you away for?

When are you travelling? The time of year is huge impact

Who will be travelling, couple [age?].?

What sort of budget do you have?

Do you want to travel about lots of areas, using flights etc, or do you want to stay in one location?

Do you want to be near restaurants / shops / bars or do you want remote and eat in the hotel if the beach was worth it?

What do you want to see and do when away - sights covers a huge scope?

Also where else you have travelled to and what you liked or disliked etc

etc

etc

Most basic research will find that Malasyia is not known for great beaches, and if you find a place with good choices of nightlight / bars / restaurants you can forget a decent beach and if you want anything more than a few bars / nightlight then also forget Malaysia . . . sights a very personal choice, but again there is not a vast choice but it depends on what you like . . . .

I love going to new places and love exploring, but I like to check out that it would appeal to us . . . so when I want to visit a new place, I do the following . . . . . .

Have a good read on sites like this one, pop into a good book store and read a travel guide on the destinations you fancy visiting.

In the various forums where you want to travel look in the left hand panel of the page and check out the ‘travel guide’ / ‘inside guides’ and ‘things to do’ which list lots of pointers of what to see and where to do as well as other information, and ‘……………..hotels’ where you check out the full range of hotels / apartment rental / B&Bs etc, but you can sort by budget as well as read recent reviews,

<---------------------------

then on the right check out FAQs / top questions about . . . . . .

--------------------------->

Also read JBR / just back reports / trip reports etc or search and read some of the questions already posted in this forum. Lots of really useful information about already posted.

There are some really useful information and brochures from the Tourism Malaysian about many places in Malaysia, have a read and see what appeals:

www.tourism.gov.my/corporate/trade.asp…

Or have a look at Trip Advisors sister website, Virtual Tourist

virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Malaysia/Trav…

See what appeals to you, your time schedule and your budgets, as at the moment your question is almost too big to answer.

The TA community is here to help, and TA is a great research engine for you to find out what appeals we are all happy to answer your specific questions to help you plan. Invest in some preliminary time and we'll happily help you fill in the gaps.

Look forward to hearing from you when you have a small specific question.

Edited: 10 May 2011, 18:26
Mentioned in this post
8. Re: where to stay?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 03:17