We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing meat from Singapore to Malaysia

Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
bringing meat from Singapore to Malaysia

Hi, does anyone know the regulations for bringing your own meat from Singapoe into Malaysia? Like frozen turkey, sausages, beef, pork, etc - we're renting a bungalow in Camerons and wish to bring our own meat there. Would there be problems with Customs at the checkpoints? (either flying to Ipoh or going through Causeway).

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing meat from Singapore to Malaysia

http://www.asean.org/14296.htm

take a look at this site. scroll down to 'goods with controls and restrictions' - it is illegal to import meat without a licence.

pam

Sandakan, Malaysia
Level Contributor
354 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing meat from Singapore to Malaysia

On 4 occasions (2006, 2009 twice and 2010) I've bought ham from Singaporean supermarkets and brought them into Malaysia without any problems. My entry point into Malaysia in 2006 was via Tuas; 2009 was Woodlands and thru Kota Kinabalu airport; in 2010 it was KK as well.

Perhaps the quantity I brought wasn't large enough to be noticeable, hence I was never stopped by Customs.

Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing meat from Singapore to Malaysia

Yes, I managed to find that customs site as well, but thought that it would apply only to commercial quantities. I guess in the end it all depends on the quantity that I bring in and how friendly the customs guys are, and how charming I can be....

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing meat from Singapore to Malaysia

Nah, no problems bringing in meat .... I'm forever bringing back my mom's satay babi :-) Customs would so love it if I had to show them!!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing meat from Singapore to Malaysia

We've never brought meat in before but we use land check points often. Most times they don't check the boot, when they do, it's just open the boot, one look and we're good to go. Not like singapore side where they sometimes ask you to open bags. I haven't been there for 6ths so not sure if it is stricter now.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing meat from Singapore to Malaysia

Brought plenty of food stuffs including meat products back into Malaysia from Singapore. No problems, just well packed in the boot in a cool bag.

7. Re: bringing meat from Singapore to Malaysia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2012, 10:20