We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most DISHONEST fruit-seller in Penang. Absolute disgust !!!

Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Most DISHONEST fruit-seller in Penang. Absolute disgust !!!

tis the white-van parked beside the 'medan selera' opposite Copthorne Hotel Penang.

Stopped by for some durians, and the 'younger' seller was hard-selling some mini durians, claiming them to be from Balik Pulau ( which is quite weird, coz I hadn't seen a single fruit last few days when i toured the entire area ), trying to hack a diamonte price. To ensure the quality is as per promised, I requested for the fruit to be opened, and the edible packed for easy eating later.

Still with a sly-smiling face, the younger seller handed the durians to what seemed to be the boss of the stall, a much older man who was literally 'seated' on the van. When he opened the fruit, and I 'stole' a quick bite..to my ultimate disgust, it tasted blender than any A4 paper could have been. Literally tasteless!!! not even a tiny bit of sweetness in that water-washed-like fruit. Questioning the younger seller on why has his promise and the actual item for sale is of such drastic difference, he shyed away but the older seller was apparently 'angered' by my question. Instead of the ethical way that any decent sales person should have done, to investigate if it was really a 'wrong recommendation', he insisted NOT to taste the fruit, claiming that "We could easily know by just looking at the fruit!"

That set me literally on fire, as I questioned him "So you're saying that you have intended to lie to your customers from the start ? Since you don't even dare to taste the 'wrong choice' ?" He had nothing to answer, and while mumbling, he persisted to insist that I should buy the fruit that he's just opened ( even obviously knowing that I have exposed their lie ). Not wanting to waste another second talking to a piece of garbage, I took the box of fruit he's packed, placed RM10 ( the price he insisted to charge ) and walked off full of boiling steam.

This stall has been around for many years, and has been known to be selling over-priced fruits. Yet because this is a tourist-prone area, non-locals who weren't aware of other sellers still purchase from this stall. I stopped by today merely because I saw that they had some durians, and thought I'd get some home as dessert. To my ultimate disgust, I feel very ashamed to have such an dishonest and cheating fruit-seller in Penang!~

Do NOT ever set foot at their stall, ya'll. Absolute absolute disgust !!!! Dishonest and unethical seller !

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Helioutpost Terengganu
Helicopter Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
WHOA Adventures
Sightseeing Tours
Skytrex Adventure
Sightseeing Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Mitways
Multi-day Tours, City Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most DISHONEST fruit-seller in Penang. Absolute disgust !!!

Sorry to hear about this. Lucky for me cos i'm not a durian eater.

Hope this wont spoil your holiday as i'm sure there are better food / fruits around in Penang than durians.

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Most DISHONEST fruit-seller in Penang. Absolute disgust !!!

I'm from Penang and I know that fruit stall.....yeah, I'd never buy anything there.

Tanjung Bungah is an expensive zip code area - rich folks/expats/tourists so you have to know and be prepared for it.

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Most DISHONEST fruit-seller in Penang. Absolute disgust !!!

I'm from Penang and I know that fruit stall.....yeah, I'd never buy anything there.

Tanjung Bungah is an expensive zip code area - rich folks/expats/tourists so you have to know and be prepared for it.

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most DISHONEST fruit-seller in Penang. Absolute disgust !!!

Thanks Tina & MK. I'm still very disheartened over the whole incident.

I don't mind paying for expensive food if it is really good.

What disgusted me the most was the seller ( especially the older one )'s attitude of not admitting fault, not to mention apologize for his mistake, but instead, insisted that I still pay for the wrong-sold durian. RM50 for a mini durian with excellent quality, THAT i can endure. but I don't see why it is at any way fair for him to still have face to ask me to buy off the durian that tasted less than any drenched toilet paper. *grrh :P

Very disheartened to see such dishonest, disgustingly sly, unethical fruit seller in the tourist-filled Penang.

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
5. Re: Most DISHONEST fruit-seller in Penang. Absolute disgust !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:16