We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week trip to Singapore/Malaysia itinerary ideas (October)

London
1 post
Save Topic
2 week trip to Singapore/Malaysia itinerary ideas (October)

Hi,

I'm a 23 y/o male, flying to Singapore arriving on the 14th October and departing from KL on the 27th. I hadn't really planned really where I was going before I booked the flights but thought flying back from KL would give me an incentive to see a few places.

I've never travelled on my own, let alone so far, but decided to book flights anyway just to make myself do it while I'm still young!

Looking to keep things reasonably cheap although not completely ghetto. Probably will stay in a reasonable hotel the first night and maybe the last night but hostels the rest of the time.

Not too bothered about getting right into the jungle, more of a city person. Would like to see a good mix of the culture, countryside and maybe the odd beach but also aware I've only got 2 weeks, I don't want to spend too much of my time travelling. Also looking to end in KL as makes sense not to do too much backtracking for flights.

Just wonderng if anyone has any advise for an itinerary? At the moment I'm thinking;

14th - Arrive Singapore, spend 3/4 days there

17th/18th - Travel to Melaka, spend 1/2 days there

19th/20th - Travel somewher else. Pulau Pangkor? Cameron Highlands? Penang bit too much of a trek maybe?

24th/25th - Travel to KL and spend 2/3 days there

27th - Depart KL

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week trip to Singapore/Malaysia itinerary ideas (October)

You got it almost right .... the destinations in Malaysia are the best to see.

Melaka (2D/1N) for its heritage, being one of the two UNESCO World Heritage sites oin Peninsular Malaysia.

From Melaka to Penang (4D/3N) by bus. Penang to Langkawi, LGK (4N/3N) by ferry. LGK to KL (4D/3N) by flight.

Nothing much in Pangkor or Cameron (since you are from UK, Cameron is just a shade of UK)

That's about it .

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week trip to Singapore/Malaysia itinerary ideas (October)

Definitely hit Penang for sure - you mention culture, city and beach. Penang has all the following.

Depending on what time you are arriving in Singapore, would suggest not more that 3D there - its just a modern city - unless you want to check out Universal Studios and the Zoo. You can find lots of coach options from Singapore to Melaka.

Melaka definitely worth it for couple of days.

Penang - you would need around 4D to see and cover everything.

You would need around 3D for KL and another 2D for travelling unless you can consider flight options. You would not have time for Langkawi.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week trip to Singapore/Malaysia itinerary ideas (October)

@Bryn R

Think your ideas are generally fine and good for you to get up and go for the trip on your own!

However, there a couple of comments i really cannot agree with from the other posts..

Awang, to say Cameron Highlands is just a shade of UK! Unless i missed it, and the UK now has lush tea plantations and rainforests - i don't think there is much similarity at all. Sure, it has a few twee looking, mock tudor buildings - but there the similarities end. In any case, if you travel round most of the UK, you would not find such buildings anyway - it only really represents a style from a few areas.

Penangnite, to call Singapore 'just a modern city' is really doing it a massive disservice :) There is much to see in Singapore and I'm not talking Universal studios or the Zoo (neither of which i have been to and I have been to Singapore around half a dozen times) Lots of people spend at least 4 days or more (some spend weeks) in Singapore and don't get bored. There are fantastic museums, amazing food, parks, temples, botanic gardens, many well preserved heritage buildings (better than in KL) east coast park- could go on but I won't!

Remember the OP says they are 'more of a city person' anyway - and Singapore undoubtedly has the largest centre of the places mentioned above.

I'd prob just suggest one night in Malacca - skip Cameron Highlands (despite it being nice) as Penang or specifically Georgetown, is probably a better destination for you.

4. Re: 2 week trip to Singapore/Malaysia itinerary ideas (October)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2013, 10:17