We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety for a single female

Cape Town
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Safety for a single female

My husband and I will be visiting kuala lumpur for conference for a week. While he attends the conference I will be touring the city. Are there any areas that I should avoid from a safety perspective.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,551 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety for a single female

Hi

No real issues, Kuala Lumpur is a pretty safe city overall. It's just about being sensible and not setting yourself up for problems. I walk around the city by myself (short blond female) and never felt concern.

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,549 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety for a single female

Malaysia is a very safe country, don't worry!

Enjoy your trip

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,231 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety for a single female

There isn't any particular area you need to avoid, as generally there aren't any areas deemed totally unsafe.

Just exercise the usual precautions as in any big city of the world. If you are walking on the streets, avoid using handbags, having a huge DSLR camera around your neck or wearing jewellery. Watch out for motorcycles. In crowded confined areas like the monorail, be cautious of your belongings. The same precautions you should take as in anywhere in the world.

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety for a single female

Jadamros's advice above is spot on..usual precautions...pick pockets, snatch thieves can be found so keep that in mind.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety for a single female

KL's waaaay safer than Capetown!

As others have advised, take the usual precautions.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety for a single female

Thanks everybody thats reassuring. Looking forward to my trip:)

7. Re: Safety for a single female

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 09:16