We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaysian holiday with teenagers

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
malaysian holiday with teenagers

planning last big family with two teenage daughters 16 and 17 next july/august. Initial idea KL-Cameron Highland-Penang-Hong Kong then back to UK Have 3 weeks to do this in. Does this seem possible,I would appreciate any advice and help with planning as this area is completely new to us !

Many thanks in advance

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,099 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malaysian holiday with teenagers

HI

yes it is possible in 3 weeks!

You may find that Cameron Highlands is not a teenage thing {think of Kent}, and with 4 hours to get there by road from Kuala Lumpur and then another 4-5 to Penang might just lead to very grumpy and irritable unentertainables!!

Are you planning to do it all yourself or do it as a package?

You will find that flying into Kuala Lumpur, and then out of Hong Kong, known as an Open Jaw ticket, is not the cheapest way to travel. You get better deals flying with the same airline in and out of the same hub, ie Malaysian / Kuala Lumpur or Cathy Pacific / Hong Kong, although some of the middle eastern airlines can offer some great deals. Flights from the UK will vary in cost depending on what airline and are cheaper if booked early and flying in and out of one hub not doing open jaw. Internal flights will be much cheaper if booked early.

We get our tickets from netflighs.com, but sites like kayak or skyscanner can see who is doing a good deal.

We book our internal flights with the various airlnes, but look at Malaysian, Air Asia, Tiger for some flights on the routes you plan to travel.

When it comes to hotels, well the choice is endless. Know your budget, and then research what area, then start looking.

Happy planning

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malaysian holiday with teenagers

I'd suggest taking a look at Malaysian Borneo, as a possible alternative to Cameron Highlands. July/August is a perfect time weather wise to go there and you can fly direct to places like Kuching or KK from KL/Penang. I think when i was a teenager, Malaysian Borneo would have held more appeal than Cameron Highlands (and still does!) mainly due to the wildlife and beaches.

I'd also consider Singapore potentially as alternative to HK.

You can actually sometimes get flights for no extra cost, arriving into KL from Europe and departing from Singapore. I know someone who has just recently booked this option, with KLM via Amsterdam (for less than £700 return i think)

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malaysian holiday with teenagers

many thanks for all the information you have given me some ideas to work on!

4. Re: malaysian holiday with teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2013, 10:16