We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where would you recommend living for 1 year in Malaysia?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Where would you recommend living for 1 year in Malaysia?

Hi ...

I've got a job offer given by the British Council in Kuala Lumpur. The organisation cooperated with the Malaysian Ministry of Education. If I accept the offer, I will be working as a Teacher Trainer with Malaysian teacher sometimes even in rural areas.

As I am from Europe and have never been to Asia before I have so many question that I would like to be answered that I do not even know what to start with. In general, I would like to know if it is possible to work i rural areas but live in a city and commute every day. Is is safe to work in Malaysian rural areas? Where would it be best to work and live for a European?

Another important thing for me is the Internet access. Is it easy to get the access to the Internet in cities, town and villages?

What about the cost of living? Would I have to get vaccinated against anything? I have already found out that there are some diseases against which I would have to get vaccinated but they say I would have to do that at least 4 weeks before arrival. I am afraid that I do not have that much time. So if I get vaccinated like two weeks before my arrival, would I be in danger of going down with an illness?

I would appreciate any advice

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where would you recommend living for 1 year in Malaysia?

Welcome to Kuala Lumpur . You can consider KLCC area , Bangsar or KL Sentral . These three area are expat area ( close to Metro station ) , for 2 rooms apartment ( 1050sf ) m fully furnished ,monthly rental in between 3.5 to 6K ( Malaysia currently ) . Unify is one of the best internet line ... If I am not wrong British Council is located at Jalan Ampang ( walking distance to KLCC for 3 mins max ) . It is impossible to stay in rural area and work in KL city, bad traffic .

P.J
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Where would you recommend living for 1 year in Malaysia?

You can stay in Bangsar or Mont Kiara where a lot of expatriates congregate,buy wireless/mobile internet if you plan staying in rural areas and i'm pretty sure you can just go to any clinics to get advise on vaccines.Cost of living in Malaysia is quite low and if you love travels you can fly with many low cost airlines in KL

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where would you recommend living for 1 year in Malaysia?

Thanks for the answer. The thing is that I do not know yet where the British Council is gonna send me. Therefore I wanted to know if there are any other Malaysian cities nice to live in. Just in case, is it horrible to live in the country?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where would you recommend living for 1 year in Malaysia?

What do the short forms you used mean, 1050sf, 6K?

Edited: 19 January 2013, 12:54
Geraldton, Australia
Level Contributor
149 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where would you recommend living for 1 year in Malaysia?

1050sf = square feet

6k = 6,000

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where would you recommend living for 1 year in Malaysia?

KL is a massive sprawling metropolis. Very un-european. Super hot and humid but not without its charms.

However, also consider Georgetown (Penang island) and Kuching (Malaysian Borneo) Have met several europeans who have worked for British council in Kuching and they really enjoy being there.

Internet is generally very good in cities and also some towns.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 02:16
Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where would you recommend living for 1 year in Malaysia?

To start off, take a good look at a map of Malaysia and review your offer package.

1) Job coverage to which part of Malaysia (eg. North which covers Perlis, Kedah, Penang) .

- if as above, then have Penang as home base.

2) Is it a lump sum salary inclusive of per diem allowances ( food, taxis etc).?

- Cost of living in KL is > 20% higher than in Pg, but central to domestic flights if you need to fly out to the other states.

3) Will incurred expenses for transport to other cities or rural towns considered as "travel for business trip and claimable"?

4) % of travel out of your home base

Edited: 20 January 2013, 05:47
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where would you recommend living for 1 year in Malaysia?

I will suggest you to check your housing allowance then only decide where to stay .

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where would you recommend living for 1 year in Malaysia?

Thanks for the answer, id have to cover the flat rental cost by myself, they offer 8834 rinngit gross per month

Travel allowance to working venues up to 100 pounds per month

Edited: 20 January 2013, 10:41
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where would you recommend living for 1 year in Malaysia?

Thanks for the answer, id have to cover the flat rental cost by myself, they offer 8834 rinngit gross per month

Travel allowance to working venues up to 100 pounds per month

Edited: 20 January 2013, 10:41