We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What ID to carry?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What ID to carry?

Does anyone know what form of ID a tourist should

carry as required by the Malaysian law? Would an

Aussie driver's licence do as I don't want to carry

my passport around.

Thank you.

Helioutpost Terengganu
Helicopter Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
WHOA Adventures
Sightseeing Tours
Skytrex Adventure
Sightseeing Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Mitways
Multi-day Tours, City Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What ID to carry?

Hi Blue Lagoon99, your driving licence should be okay and to be on the safe side, I suggest you make a photocopy of your passport (the relevant page) to carry on you and the original passport kept at the hotel safe (remember your combination and read the instructions carefully on setting your combination and opening and closing) and make sure the room safe is intact, give it a jerk to ensure it is bolted down properly. Otherwise the hotel lobby deposit boxes which is offered at no charge.

I assume you are not planning to change any travellers' cheque, then you need your passport.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What ID to carry?

Thanks mKiaratravel for the very detailed response.

Cheers

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What ID to carry?

Why is it required by malaysian law to always carry aaaaan ID? I've been to KL twice and always left my passport in the hotel because I didn't know of this requirement

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What ID to carry?

I read somewhere that one has to produce an ID when asked by a police officer, didn't want to take my chance.

In Australia and the UK I don't think you are required to carry an ID unless the laws have changed. In Malaysia, this maybe related to the number of illegal workers there.

Again, I may be wrong here.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What ID to carry?

Oh, ok. Now I know why a friend of a friend had a bad experience being harassed by the police on her recent visit to KL. She was shopping along Petaling St.with her family and the police had to bring her & co. to the station and got questioned for a long time. It was a traumatic expeerience for her that she advised us not to visit Malaysia.

But I've been to KL twice last year and ddidn't have that exxperience. But I'll be carrying an ID next time.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What ID to carry?

Hi All, regardless of whether there are illegal workers in Malaysia, carrying an ID provides a quick identification and whom to call in the event of unwanted incidents.

I believe, UK is in the process of requiring citizens to carry an ID.

And for those venturing to our jungle, do please carry some form of identification, as mentioned earlier a photocopy of the relevant pages of your passport should suffice.

It is rather sad to hear of the police hauling you back to the station as you were unable to produce any identification..

7. Re: What ID to carry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 14:18